EMERGENCY HELP! Put in a new HD...now not there!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by poolin1243, Apr 24, 2006.

1. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

hello all

im in a pickle. and i need it fixed tonight.

i took out my 60 GB hdd from my 12" powerbook, and put back in a 120 GB. Now, when i start up from the DVD Tiger disk...in the disk utility, the hard drive does not show up..just my external hard drive with the disk image on it and the dvd show up in that left column....wheres the internal hard drive?!?!?!?!

help help help!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Have you tried formatting it through Disk Utility on the OSX disk yet? Format (or erase in other words) to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). :)

3. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Try outting the old HD back in and see if that's detected. This happened to me with a Ti book - never found out exactly what happened, but I suspect there was a dmagaed connector or something. The drive was fine and I had to put it in an external enclosure. If your old drive still works, then I suspect your new one is dead.

4. poolin1243 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

Open it up and disconnect and reconnect the hard drive. I have this happen a lot.

6. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

The majority of the time problems are caused by something simple. Are you sure that you pushed the cable(s) in securely when you installed the disk? Put your ear to the powerbook (without the dvd in the slot) when you start up and listen to hear if the disk is spinning up.