Eminem's new political video

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MrSugar, Oct 27, 2004.

1. MrSugar macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

Eminem released a new video for his anti-bush song "mosh". The video is pretty intense. I wonder if it really will have any effect on the election. I was curious to see what people think about it?

http://www.gnn.tv/content/eminem_mosh.html

Personally I am a Kerry fan so I think the video, although extreme and exagerated, is quite good.

2. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

I was just about to start this same thread, I just saw the video. It was very powerful. I doubt it will affect the election, as I kind of doubt it will get much play on MTV, etc. But I hope as many people as possible get a chance to see it. Its one of those videos you think about all day.

3. MrSugar thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

According to the video's producer it will be on MTV's TRL today and will also go into medium rotation.

I was quite stunned to hear this, hopefully it happens.

4. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Very suprising, I hope this is true.

5. aricher macrumors 68020

aricher

I'm no Eminem fan, though I've enjoyed a few of his tracks, but I was pleased to hear about and even more impressed by the video but how will "Mosh" play for all the suburban frat boys in Eminem's fan base who applaud Bush's shallow cowboy act but, like Bush, are chicken hawks who would never think of enlisting in the military?

Unfortunately, in what seems to be an act of cowardice on the part of the record company, the single isn't the first from Eminem's new album and isn't scheduled to be released until November 16, when the ballots will have long been cast and, presumably, the next President have been elected. I'm hoping that the airplay on TRL rumor is true and that other major media outlets pick up the video though my guess is that they can't handle a real rap 'controversy.' The entertainment industry made it seem as though Eminem's dissing Britney Spears was shocking, but let's see if they have the cajones to generate some pre-election buzz for "Mosh."

BTW - check out the other videos on their site - very deep stuff there.

http://www.guerrillanews.com/

6. MrSugar thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

7. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

If there is one group of people whose political opinions I would ignore, it would be celebrities. Think about this, did you support eminem when he expressed hatred for homesexuals and the long list of other people he maligned. If those incidents are to be discounted as worth only their shock value, then so much more this incident.

8. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Your question brought to mind something I have also wondered about. Would anyone really allow a 'music video' to shape their political views or voting decisions? I think, sadly, the answer is yes for some people. I haven't seen this video, and I'm not actually bashing it. I'm just a little perturbed by how many voters form their political opinions by taking statements from 'celebrities' (musicians, actors, etc.) at face value.

I'm not saying it's not OK for anyone to voice their opinions publicly (which includes any artistic medium). I'm saying that if anyone takes those statements at face value without checking the facts and votes accordingly is doing himself and his country a disservice. From what I've seen on this election, you should try to get the facts (which I acknowledge, is not always easy to do) regardless of which side/candidate/party the statement supports because IMHO, there is plenty of deception being shoveled out there by all sides.

As to how much weight I think an artist's (or anyone else's) political stance should carry with the average voter, I look at it this way:
    - If you want an opinion on the sensible delivery of a line on a script, by all means, ask an actor.
    - If you want an opinion about whether a progression of musical notes is sensible, by all means, ask a musician.
    - If you need an opinion about the effects of an alteration to the intake system in your car's engine, by all means, ask a mechanic.
    - If you need an opinion on how to vote on an election, PRETTY PLEASE, WITH SUGAR ON TOP! Figure out what issues are important to you, assess ( to the best of your ability) each party/candidate's stand on that issue, and form your own opinion. :)

9. MrSugar thread starter macrumors 6502a

MrSugar

I fully agree with you, recently on my blog I talked about how too many people take media at face value. While I do believe that media and movies (F911) can propose good things to think about they never should be taken for exact fact. They should push people to research the issue on their own and find out the real information and then make a descision.

However, I think things like this encourage people to be motivated to take action and change what they see whether it is a republican or a democart. Therefore I support it.

As for eminem's stance on bashing gay people and the other extremely violent things he says. I may not agree but I do think he is always really serious about it, which by no means makes it excusable, but a lot of people say things they don't truly mean just to get shock value and attention.

Eminem is talented, and when he conveys messages that are meaningful I think he should be credited. He is taking a stance and expressing his views towards the people he wants to influence, and he knows with his icon status he can have more effect than many of us. Sometimes stiring controversy is the best way to get your ideas feelings out into the world.

Eminem knows this all too well.

10. takao macrumors 68040

takao

good video..and even with myself being completle turned away by hiphop in generali even thinks it's an ok song

politics always had it's part in music... and ever will...

BTW: i guess KMFDM was rather amused to hear such a politcal song from eminem one year after they realeased a song with such lyrics

so i was rather amused by seeing eminem releasing a political song ;)

11. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

I agree, It is ridiculous to consider taking a celebrities opinion at face value. I am not supporting Eminem, or even his views. What I do respect is his attempt to encourage young people to vote. My hope is that a video like this would encourage kids to research the issues, and form their own opinions. Young voters has always been a hard demographic to reach. If it takes Eminem to generate interest in the political process, so be it. If it makes people sitting at home watching TRL think about what is going on in the world, even better. While I don’t think you should subscribe to every belief presented in the video, I hope it generates some awareness that will be taken beyond MTV.

12. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Anyone see "Amerika" Video By Rammstein? Its on iTMS

13. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

Exactly. This guy is all hype and opinions.....nothing more. It is sad that he influences so many.

14. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

So let me get this strait, he went from Marshal Bruce Mathers III to Slim Shady to Eminem to D12 to Eminem.

What's next? Skittles? :rolleyes: :D

I do find most of his music powerful, and most of it has a very good message (although I though the facts in this video were exaggerated a lot).

15. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

Carl Sagan wrote in his book, "The Demon Haunted World, Science as a Candle in the Dark", the shocking reality that most people believe something just because it was on TV. Example: The X Files, total bullsh&+ pseudoscience, yet millions believe it because it's on TV. :rolleyes:

I went to that site mentioned in the above post and voted for the Emimen video, although Emimen had nothing to do with last weeks vote for Kerry. :D

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah it's running over here pretty regulary on the music channels..good video but the song isn't really stunning

17. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

Yea I like Mein Teil Better but they dont really show the video.....

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Politicians are celebrities.

It doesn't surprise me that the reverse is true. Nor does it offend me. Especially since the majority of people seem to have abandoned thought during the voting process anyway. If they're going to allow themselves to be manipulated by politicians, how can they be upset when they're manipulated by celebrities?

This is the first time I've ever had a shred of respect for eminem. I can't say he did it for shock value, because it'll only shock republicans... not the most likely eminem audience anyway.

If he keeps up the anti-gay BS, i'll still ignore him most of the time. But I think i'm done badmouthing him.

paul

19. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

You know, I agree with that. It's amazing, though, that people holding such a position still find others who hold to that position subject to manipulation themselves. I guess the identity of the manipulator really depends on what you believe.

20. King Cobra macrumors 603

Damn hell. Politics just keep expanding like a virus into parts society that are usually free from a lot of political discussion (the living room and restaurants, for example). Now we have the druggie Eminem (who used to put out better material before he went to 8 Mile) turning more political than in his past work. Man, I'm sick of it. Politics are so overrated...everywhere. All this mess with Eminem proves to me just how easy it is to get sucked in.

21. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Hmmm...

In all honesty I don't like either Bush or Kerry, but I cannot in good faith vote for a man who earned more than $20,000,000 last year and paid only 12% in taxes. I earned under $100,000 and my tax rate was at least twice that.

And then he still has the absolute gall to say that the rich aren't paying their fair share and should be taxed more!!! Hey Kerry, how about starting with yourself???

Not to mention his lack of loyalty to his fellow servicemen, his absenteeism from important votes, his non-stop flip flopping on the issues, his.....

IMHO Kerry doesn't stand a chance because most Americans don't like opportunists like Kerry.

22. Cybernanga macrumors regular

Name changes

His Real Name is still Marshal Bruce Mathers III, Eminem, is his stage name (basically "M & M", standing for Marshall Mathers), Slim Shady is his "alter-ego" and D12 is his backing group. He does most of his stuff as Eminem, and has appeared on D12's album.

He hasn't changed his name. Unlike others i.e Prince/The artist formerly known as Prince/The Artist/Symbol/Prince, although he did have valid reasons for changing.

I haven't heard the song yet, but I reckon there are many 18-20 year olds who will be influenced by what he says, even though they may not realise it at the time. Anyway hopefully Kerry wins, as I think that's the best option for the rest of the world, even if it may not be the best option for the states.

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

please don't try to turn this in to yet another bush/kerry debate. That belongs in the political forum, and has been (and will be) discussed there until you want to kill yourself rather than listen to any more of it. :)

As for eminem, I am impressed by his maturity in this video. The whole time, as the members of his "army" are coming to join him, I was expecting a rather immature finale, with a lot of yelling, fighting, violence, etc. Instead, the "battle plan" for his young "army" turns out to be, VOTE. Whatever you think of his music, his past lyrics, or his political stance, the bottom line is that he's telling kids to get out there and "fight" for what they believe is right - fight by making their voices heard through the vote. How can you argue with that? :confused:

24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I thought the video had a cool visual style. But I don't think the celebs deserve any more or less credibility when it comes to Monday morning politicing<sp?> than the average joe does.

Lethal

25. takao macrumors 68040

takao

yeah over here it got a daylight showing ban on music channels because of protesters :rolleyes: now it has to be shown after 8 pm or something like that hehe