Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
I'd have thought Universal would have owned the publishing rights as they are his label.

iBlue

macrumors Core
Mar 17, 2005
London, England
it seems pretty stupid but
it's mostly because of
Music industry observers believe more such litigation will emerge in future, as artists and composers fight to take a bigger slice of the money earned by music downloads.

One unresolved matter is that of whether a record label also has the rights to authorize music downloads or whether such rights belong to music publishers.
translation: greed. <- shocker. the music industry is full of arguments over who is owed what.

I thought this was odd though:
Eminem's management previously sued Apple in 2004 over the use of Eminem song Lose Yourself in an iTunes TV ad. The ad was never actually aired.

Yes it was aired. I had seen it several times. :confused:

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
Eminem's Publisher Sues Apple for Unauthorized Music Sales

Detroit News reports that Eminem's music publisher has filed a multimillion-dollar lawsuit against Apple for unauthorized music sales through the iTunes Store.

According to the article, the main issue appears to be a contractual one, questioning the right of record labels to also sell recording artist's music digitally as well as on CD.
A "burning issue" in the music industry today is whether the rights record labels hold to sell a recording artist's CDs include the rights to authorize music downloads, or whether further permission is needed from the music publishers who hold the copyrights to the lyrics and sheet music.

Apple sells individual songs for 99 cents and gives 70 cents back to the recording label (in this case, Universal). Out of that $.70, Universal pays about 9.1 cents to the music publisher. Eminem's music publisher states that they have never authorized Universal to allow the downloads and have demanded that Apple cease and desist online distribution of their music. Apple has reportedly refused.

Article Link

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Wow, this clown really loves to get into the news by taking on Apple.

Sounds like someone is suffering from a serious case of hasbeenitis...

Note to music publishers: online sales are the future of music. Period. Deal with it.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
I thought this was odd though:

Yes it was aired. I had seen it several times. :confused:

Are you thinking of the one Eminem is actually in or the one that just featured the song "Lose Yourself"? I know I've seen both but I'm not sure if the one in question was aired on television or if I just saw it online.

RumMunkey

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2006
Canada
Here's what I don't get. Why is Eminem suing Apple? He should be suing Universal if they're reselling to channels outside of their agreement with the artist / publisher.

ecksfilter

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2007
ummmm........

Apple makes more money then me so I'm gonna sue them and try to get some...yay for me the dead white rapper.:confused:

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Here's what I don't get. Why is Eminem suing Apple? He should be suing Universal if they're reselling to channels outside of their agreement with the artist / publisher.

Exactly, I'm sure the courts will see it that way too.

What a doofus.

studiomusic

macrumors regular
Oct 1, 2004
Round the world
Most times the label owns the recordings of the music (even though the artist pays for them... don't get me started!), but the publishing stays, at least in part, with the artist.
I don't think m&m has a case as his label is authorized to sell and distribute the recordings that they own (or are at least licensed to sell/distribute).
Contracts I've seen include the right to exploit the works created on any support in use now or in the future.
Now sync rights are different...:D

sinisterdesign

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2003
atlanta
...the main issue appears to be a contractual one, questioning the right of record labels to also sell recording artist's music digitally as well as on CD.

ummmm, so they're suing Apple why? take it up w/ your label and shut the f%$# up, eminem. at least someone is buying your music.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001

Well, looks like they demanded Apple stop selling his music and they said no. So lawsuit is the next step I guess.

arn

JPyre

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2005
Pistolvania

Um... he's not, read the title... His Record label is trying to get around the original contract with the publisher. The contract probably had no "digital" reference in it, as emininem came out before mp3s really became main stream, and WAAAAY before iTunes was even thought of.

Steal This Film Got it completely right about music. Through the ages musicians have only made money by performing live, the recording industry is a brand new invention in the relative history of music. The record industry is saying the same things about digital downloads that they said about the casette tape or the movie indusrty about the vcr. What happened? Did people stop buying music and start recording HBO off the tv? No, not really. And then what happens? CDs and CD burners come out and the industry cries wolf about the same issues again, and again they cry about digital and and and.

The publisher probably has a very valid "legal" argument, this has nothing to do with eminem losing money. The publisher is loosing money, NOT the record label or eminem. IF Eminem's label had not been paying the publisher, which doesn't publish much anymore, I'd understand the argument. But the label is paying the publisher, the problem is the terms are not in any contract, they're paying arcording to the CD deals. WHich doesn't make sense, the publisher isn't doing anything, yet theyre complaining about getting a check. The publisher wants CD ONLY distribution, thats why they're suing, i guess....

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
this is retarded. of course record labels have the rights to sell music digitally.

They can sell in Vinyl, Cassette, CD, Digitally or hell even in 8 track. it's a standard in industry.

This is just Eminem trying to shakedown his label for more money. Which is dumb. Digital sales are a way to offer it to more consumers who could otherwise be stealing it online.

iJawn108

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2006
Something like this would make me want to download illegally... you know if the artist was actually any good.

Max.Power

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2007
NYC
I would think Universal's (and all other distributors') contracts would contain language allowing them to distribute music in any format. Regardless, the case against Apple will get no where since the morons are suing the wrong company. :confused:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I don't understand this.

"Hi, we're going to give you lots of money to sell your product in shop A and B instead of just shop B."

"No"

"Sorry, what now?"

:rolleyes:

Uh, if he wins this then he gets to keep ALL the online sales money instead of sharing it with the label.

So really it goes like this:

"Hi, do you want to keep all the money your songs make online or do you want to share it with another company?"

And you'd pick, "share" as your answer? :rolleyes: is right.

I think it'd be pretty cool if he does win. Wouldn't it be nice if artists could all just put their music right on iTunes and get a check each month? Without a middle-man?

age234

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2004
How else can I afford another solid gold Humvee?
And diamond-studded swimming pools, these things don't grow on trees
So all I ask is everybody please...
Don't download this song!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.