Emo bands

Discussion in 'Community' started by Dunepilot, Jun 11, 2002.

1. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Hi all,

nothing to do with Macs at all, but I just wanted to announce how excited I am about the state of British music at the moment.

Am listening to the new Hundred Reasons album at the moment and I also saw Dustball last night, who are undoubtedly the most underrated band this country has produced in the last ten years.

I feel privileged to have had this rare pleasure. You can hear their MP3s at MP3.com, but there are loads on their site at dustball.co.uk . A bunch of seriously talented young men.

Makes me proud to be British.

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

listing now.... not bad...

I always like getting pointed to new music...

The last person I saw in concert was Tanya Donelly... (she was in Belly and Throwing Muses)... it was a great show...

arn

3. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I've just downloaded their sample songs. Pretty good, i must say. Listening to it reminds me a bit of the soundtrack to Cruel Intentions.

I think i'm going to enjoy seeing them emerge, especially if they batter Hear'say into the dust! :p

4. Dunepilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

I really hope they do emerge.

What's great is that Dustball pass the acid test of being better live than on record. They also have an excellent new EP which I bought at the gig, with different songs on it.

You can get their stuff as well as that of other great Oxford bands (and there is a massive scene here) at oxfordmusic , and read stuff at oxfordbands .

You can here 3 MP3s (very rough, and a bit out of date) of my band here :)

5. iGav macrumors G3

Tanya Donelly is so cool....... as were Belly........ same goes for Juliana Hatfield a much underated solo artist...... so it's always cool to find new bands.......

Dustball are really cool...... I used to follow the new music scene in the uk for years..... trying to find out new music......

Not sure if anybody is interested... but I saw a female solo artist last year at the Spitz in London, her name is Carina Round, and she was just so cool live.... an amazing vocalist..... kind of like a cross between PJ Harvey, Juliana Hatfield and Beth Orton.......

http://www.carinaround.co.uk/

6. ponyboy macrumors regular

Very Good...

Check out http//:www.deepelm.com

There are some insaine bands on that site that get littl recognition

Check out Appleseed Cast, White Octave and Pop Unknown

Also my favorite Emo Band ever Cursive http://www.crankthis.com/cursive.html

Crank is full of good rock

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i am borrowing a cursive album from a friend.... i don't like it all that much though. sorry to say

good emo = thursday, sense field, farside, gameface, hot water music, boy sets fire (many of which aren't the typical emo)

bad emo = dashboard confessional, new found glory, new saves the day stuff, etc.

8. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

where im from all the musicians call emo...

music in which the singer cant sing.

i never gave much that to that untill i heard some so called emo bands.

a bunch suck arse... and others are okay. i havent heard any that stand out to me. i guess because im not a fan of emo music in general....if you want to call it that.

9. ponyboy macrumors regular

I would agree with that and add Small Brown Bike

I'll Also admit that Cursive takes some getting used to I hated thier last album the first time I heard it but after a few listens it is by far the most intricate musically of any of the others or any of the bands listed above.

And about "emo" music the name is lame and I never have liked it indie rock suits it better

10. Dunepilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Yeah

'emo' isn't a great term, but people are starting to cotton onto it.

Maybe "post-hardcore" or "melodic hardcore" works better.

Whatever, it certainly isn't a unified scene in any sense.

For my money the best bands I've heard under this umbrella are:

•Get Up Kids
    •Hundred Reasons
    •Quicksand
    •At the Drive-In (some musos have argued this is emo. not too sure myself, but they were awesome)
    •and now Dustball

For me it's the occasional wierd chords, unexpected stray guitar lines, time changes and unusual riff lengths that make this stuff enjoyable and challengin

11. ponyboy macrumors regular

how could I forget get up and at the drive in, of course...

I agree it is the switchups that make this music more than just the typical, to bad most of these bands never make enough cake to stay around that long, there are some that hang in there but they are usually not supported by their music

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

juliana hatfield rules...i didn't know anybody else knew about her

i bought a demo tape she made at a used record store many years ago before she was signed to a proper label

13. iGav macrumors G3

Juliana Hatfield was quite popular in the early 90's here in the england...... she used to be featured alot in the NME and Melody Maker...... I remember hearing one of her songs on the Evening Session and thinking wow, she sounds cool.... then I saw her live supporting Teenage Fanclub and The Poises at the Town and Country Club in Leeds, and she was just really cool..... very powerful live........ actually it was The Juliana Hatfield Three who I saw..... supporting the Become What You Are album.......

I keep waiting for her to come back over to the UK for a tour, but as far as I know.... her record company won't finance it..... which is a total bummer...... :(

So there you go.... there's at least 2 Juliana Hatfield fans in the world..... :D

14. Dunepilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Never heard of Juliana Hatfield I'm afraid

But, one solo artist I am in awe of is Keith Caputo - he was amazing in Life of Agony and was almost even better as a solo artist on 'Died Laughing'.

If you're a fan of quirky music, check out Keith. He rocks. A hardcore singer gone pop..... cool!:)

15. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

EMO! Please people, this is an INSULT, not an actual type of music! Get some REAL punk into your diet! Anti-Flag, Pennywise, Rancid, NoFX (I actually don't like them that much...) AAA, AFI, Misfits, Dead Kennedys, Black Flag, Minor Threat, and the DropKick Murphys are only a few I can list off the top of my head!! Heh heh, Blink 182 is emo, but I'm not hoping to convert all of you here, like I'm not about to go into cowboy bars and preach this...becuase it's all gonna end in the same way, I'm gonna be getting some hate mail/some hate bullets flung at me :)

16. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

hehehe... my friend happens to feel the same as you although he did admit to me that if you speed up emo songs they could be classified as punk... i prefer emo but i do enjoy some punk (anti-flag)

to each his own

17. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

To each his own, right on :D Just don't speed up the "Dashboard Confessionals" and tell me it's punk... :cool:

18. DannyZR2 macrumors 6502

emotional

Any Pedro the Lion fans or Starflyer 59 fans out there?

I could listen to PTL for days...

19. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

of course there are exceptions to every theory, dashboard confessionals being one of them...

(i'm afraid to admit i like a few of their songs... but hopefully my enjoyment of a few anti-flag songs makes up for it :))

20. Dunepilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Hmm

If you listen to Hundred Reasons they can be incredibly hardcore, but what generally separates this stuff from the rest of punk is songwriting ability.

The Get Up Kids also can write songs, that's all that really counts.

Oh, and Blink 182 are not an emo band. This is heresy.

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

2 things:

1. the get up kids WERE good. i haven't heard their new album. but at a recent concert in december, i was flat out bored. even their old stuff was made boring. the 15 year old girls screaming didn't help. but the music was uninteresting.

2. some say minor threat was the start of emotional music.... at least as far as punk/hardcore go. though i'd say they started hardcore as it came to be in the late 80s and early 90s, and really ian's later bands had more of an emo feel.

small brown bike- i saw them with hwm once, and they were pretty good. will have to check them out.

22. ponyboy macrumors regular

Re: Hmm

Dead on... Think about fugazi they were punk but then they grew up improved thier writing and their latest stuff is insane, I wouldnt call them EMO cause I hate the word.

Blink was good when they were blink... Blink 182 is a totally different band if you ask me but I dislike them for totally different reasons, has to do with why I dumped my girlfriend of 5 years ago.......

23. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

BTW, has anyone ever heards of The World/Inferno Friendship Society? They're not *really* punk, but they are in a way... very strange lot they are. I just want to gauge the 'known-ness" of the band...

24. Dunepilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Stoner rock

To be honest, if this thread has taught me one thing, it's how far I'm away from the cutting edge on this sort of stuff, and how spread my genre interest is! I have to admit that I listen to a lot more stoner rock, which is almost the direct opposite of this stuff with its use of blues chords etc.

I'm afraid that I've never heard of The World/Inferno Friendship Society. As I say, I'm just scratching the surface of this kind of music.

I am a massive Kyuss fan though - maybe I should start a stoner rock thread!?

25. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: emotional

cant say im a fan but yep ive heard of them. starflyer is pretty good for thier genra.