EmotiFun! Released: Apple Relaxing Policies on Emoji Enablers?

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

EmotiFun! [App Store], a free application whose sole purpose is to enable the use of Emoji for non-Japanese iPhone users, has appeared in the App Store. Emoji, emoticons and pictorial characters popular in the Japanese instant messaging culture, were introduced to Japanese customers as part of the iPhone 2.2 Firmware update, but have required workarounds to be enabled for non-Japanese users.

Several applications released to the App Store, including Touch Dial Emoji [App Store] and Typing Genius [App Store], have included the ability to enable Emoji, but the functionality was included as part of larger applications with additional uses. Developers who attempted to release applications whose primary advertised function was to enable Emoji, such as Ars Technica's Freemoji, saw their applications rejected by Apple for their ability to modify settings outside of the applications' containers, a violation of the iPhone SDK.

Ars Technica recently interviewed Gary Fung, the developer of Typing Genius, who provided his perspective on the Emoji situation and how he has risked raising the ire of Apple by advertising his application's ability to enable Emoji, even going so far as to change the application's title to Typing Genius - Get Emoji.

Apple's acceptance of EmotiFun!, which apparently has made no effort to disguise its sole ability to enable Emoji, implies a loosening of restrictions on what changes an application is permitted to make to system settings, but whether this relaxation of policies will extend to iPhone features beyond Emoji remains to be seen.

Article Link: EmotiFun! Released: Apple Relaxing Policies on Emoji Enablers?

2. macrumors member

tiggery2k3

Works

May I be the first to say this really works until the next firmware comes out...

3. macrumors newbie

Works great, as long as you are sending to another iPhone. Unfortunately, most of my friends and family don't have iPhones.

4. macrumors 6502a

It should work with e-mail as well (should)...

Scratch that - only works iPhone to iPhone e-mail or text. Eh well...

5. macrumors 6502

Rather useless, unless it is for private use on text that does not leave your iPod/iPhone.

There is a reason for limiting the use of emoji on mails generated from a softbank address. You are not actually embedding the icons, just entering unused character codes that softbank has reserved for use of their emoji. While the list of icons is 99% similar to that used by Docomo and AU, the tables of which character is used for what emoji are different per operator.

Applications/devices that are usually capable of displaying them, i.e swapping characters into icons (cell phones, gmail or yahoo mail on a desktop, etc) must know which table they have to use (or if they have to do the conversion at all). Sending it from a softbank e-mail address is quite a definitive hint (but you can already do so without this app).

So, sending texts with this characters-to-be-swapped-into-icons from a non-softbank address is quite useless, since the device does not know it contains emoji and hence must do the swapping (unless, that is, they read them on an iPhone/iPod, which will assume that those character codes are softbank emoji no matter where they come from; in fact the iPhone is quite lame at that it does not even use conversion tables of AU or KDDI, i.e. it only displays emoji that come from another softbank address [boooo!])

Edit: AU phones are actually not able to use conversion tables from other operators, but the operator itself is actually converting the contents of the e-mail before serving it to the phone. So if AU can do that, I guess it is Softbank who is to blame for iPhones not displaying other operators' emoji)

6. macrumors 6502a

We already knew that.

7. macrumors 6502

Tell that to all those people complaining they could not SEND emoji from a non-softbank account. They actually cannot with this app either.

8. macrumors 6502a

born4sky

9. macrumors 68000

The App Store isn't being run well... (although Apple should have enabled emoji from the start!)

Ams.

10. macrumors 65816

chr1s60

I think the way Apple runs the App Store is continuing to get better. It seems like more and more things are starting to get approved and I believe we will eventually get to a point where there is very little that Apple will not approve. Of course Apple is not going to allow apps that mess with certain parts of the phone, but I think within the next 6 months or so we will even see Apple starting to allow things like web browsers nat based on Safari and new mail applications. These are the things iPhone users are wanting and though Apple has been holding back, eventually it will make sense for them to allow these types of applications.

As far as emoji goes, I don't think it is a big deal and that is why Apple isn't trying to keep it from being unlocked.

11. macrumors 6502a

Umm, it works sending iPhone to iPhone regardless of service provider. I'm assuming you already knew that right?

12. macrumors 6502

Well, like I wrote (and like read in your previous message), yes I knew. The use of such (in JP, which is where those icons are mainly aimed for) is questionable. In essence, it is limited to the iPhone's ecosystem.

13. macrumors regular

I believe it is awesome that Apple allowed this App in the appstore. Think about it this way, this move by apple is a pro-iPhone owner move in that, we as iPhone users were buying APPS to do this for us even though it was not the purpose for which that particular app was created or submitted to the App store. So by allowing it to be done this way, Apple has helped the user community to save money and not have to buy apps we will never use to get a feature it was not submitted to the app store to do. The developers of those other apps may not like this app but I would be $1 richer if this app was available a couple of weeks ago. :apple:

14. macrumors 65816

cwedl

Apple should enable Emoji for all countries in the next firmware upgrade, if you think about it surely it's the same as sending :) and the iPhone does the encoding at the other end?

15. macrumors 68020

It still worked for those who enabled it in 2.2 and then upgraded to 2.2.1, what makes you think the next update would be any different?

16. macrumors regular

the only thing i dont like about this app, is that my friends and family doesnt have an iphone, so, theyre not gonna be able to see the icons. Pointless for me, tho.

17. macrumors member

tiggery2k3

Because I can remember people complaining that emoji applications got disabled when they upgraded to 2.2.1, also this one is only in version 1.0 so who knows what apple could do

18. macrumors 68020

No, if you had emoji working on your phone in 2.2, it worked perfectly in 2.2.1, period.

The problem people were encountering was one of the apps that was commonly used to enable emoji (Frostyplace), didn't work in 2.2.1. Other emoji enabling apps like Touch Dial Emoji, never stopped working, and still work to this day.

I don't think Apple is too concerned with people enabling emoji, and they clearly didn't disable this exploit in 2.2.1 and continue to allow more and more apps that enable it onto the app store.

19. macrumors 65816

Have there been any issues after people enable emoji using these kinds of apps?

20. macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

I downloaded the EmotiFun app from the UK store and It didn't work. There is a review on there saying that it's a hoax and doesn't work

Could it be this app isn't available outside of the US, and has been disabled or something when it's downloaded from the UK store??

Jason

21. macrumors member

Could have been a coincidence, but I loaded this app over the air and ran it. When I went back to sync to my computer later in the day iTunes reported my phone had 5GB of 'Other' (no music/videos/ect.) and tried to remove every app on my phone. Fantastic.

Restoring now.

22. macrumors 65816

Probably a coincidence, but still.
    Well, it's not worth the risk for me.

I'd rather buy something that has worked for a while, such as typing genius. Or just forego the emoji for now. It's not like I have any friends.

23. macrumors 6502a

bobsentell

This could also be a way of Apple indicating it is about to release it itself. However, I've often wondered how Apple could add features to the phone without canniblizing an existing app. If apple does unlock Emoji in 3.0, it would render all the emoji apps useless.

24. macrumors 65816

Few of the apps released SOLE purpose is to unlock emoji. In fact, a lot of people are buying the apps because of emoji and not the primary function. It doesn't make for a good marketplace.

25. macrumors 68000

can we delete the app after emoji is enbabled.