Employee Discount?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by purell16, Jul 23, 2005.

1. purell16 macrumors member

Apr 29, 2004
    Im getting ready to start a job at an Apple Authorized reseller. How much of a discount do u think I will get on a computer purchase?
  2. tsk macrumors 6502a

Jan 14, 2004
    My guess is about the edu discount tops. By Apple authorized I assume you mean *not* the Apple store, but somewhere like CompUSA or MacMall...
  3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    My guess: About 3%

Thing is, since it is a reseller, not Apple-the-mothership, they have to buy the machines from Apple wholesale. Many Macs have a 3 - 5% profit margin wholesale to retail, so unless 1) Apple offers a special programme for dealer employees or 2) the reseller actually chips in significant cash out of their own pocket, the discount won't be greater than the profit margin. Did you see the "big" MacMall or whoever it was "employee discount" sale that was posted last week? Up to 38% off? Well, it was 38% off a cable, but like 2% off a Mac.

Oh, and if the reseller is subsidizing the price, there are usually waiting periods where you have to be employed more than X number of months before you can start buying.

I remember buying a Powerbook 100 from Apple on dealer employee discount, IIRC it was $1750.00 and took six weeks to arrive.
  4. MacDawg macrumors P6

Mar 20, 2004
    "Between the Hedges"
    I don't mean to sound rude, but why don't you ask them, (or better, why didn't you ask them?), you would get a much more accurate answer than some speculation from us. I guess employees usually get about 10% in most cases don't they? I'm sure it varies according to jobs.

EDIT: I'm sorry, I guess I misunderstood... this is a guessing game? You know what it is, you just want us to guess?

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]
  5. nbame786 macrumors newbie

Jun 23, 2003
    haha! you guys are all way off.... the discounts are..!!! oh wait... i signed a release not to even post here ... :p