employee purchase program (epp) apple online store

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by drewby, Jan 24, 2007.

1. drewby macrumors member

drewby

hello-

i'm a new macrumors forum member, but i've been reading the forums for a while now. i did a few searches on this subject and did not find any relevant information, so i thought i would ask...

i work for a bank, and one of our benefits is a corporate discount through an apple online employee purchase program store. the discount isn't huge, the prices are a bit higher than the education discount, but on my upcoming blackbook purchase, it will save me $100 after upgrading the ram.

i am writing to see if anyone here has any experience with buying through apple's employee purchase program? when you first login there is the standard disclaimer (much like the education discount start page) stating that you can only buy one mac a year, etc, but then there is a link to policy for purchases made under this program, which i do not see on the edu discount site. the policy page is located here:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/bepppolicies.html

i'm sure i will be fine, but it mentions that for BTO there are no returns unless DOA. with all the threads around the macbooks having, shall we say 'issues', this policy worries me a bit. i know that it states that the applecare warranty still applies, but for the money, i thought it wouldnt hurt to ask if anyone has had any issues or what not.

thoughts, anyone?

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

All BTO's have the same policy, regardless of how you get it from Apple. You can get it repaired under AppleCare for one year for free, though, if it has any issues. You just can't return it for a refund if it's BTO (non-BTO's have a 14 day window for returns, I believe).

3. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

and BTO cant be exchanged for a newer model if it happens to come out within the 2 weeks, right?

4. uNext macrumors 6502

I think the most logical thing to do is to buy the computer.

And upgrade the ram and everything else you want by yourself.

Too many restrictions on a BTO.

5. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

i bought my iMac through employee plan -

but didn't do it online.. i did it over the phone

no problems at all..

6. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

but, as always, you cant change out the graphix cards without it.

7. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

You can't change it WITH BTO on the Macbooks anyway.

Regarding Macbook problems, haven't they all been resolved? I thought Apple had figured out the issues last summer, and corrected them for sure by the Rev B. Macbook/Macbook Pros?

8. drewby thread starter macrumors member

drewby

thanks for the thoughts, everyone! :D

i think i was just having money anxiety. i bought it last night and now eagerly await my new blackbook. it'll be my first mac since 2004; i've been mac-less for a while and i'm nearly about to go insane from the windows pc usage. :apple:

9. chelseasian macrumors regular

chelseasian

You can also show your employee ID at the Apple store and get the discount. I think it is around 8%. In New York City, you basically save a little on sales tax. :cool:

10. drewby thread starter macrumors member

drewby

really? thats cool. i dont really have an employee badge, think my business cards and name tag would work?

i bought online, and would have anyhow, as i wanted to upgrade the ram to 2 gigs. from what i've read around here, upgrading at the store is more costly as they charge for the full ram amount, not just for the upgrade (but get the original sticks of ram back, which i don't need).

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

H&R Block? (to the OP) or they little bastard child company?