Employees find noose hanging at work

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jan 5, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

CNN

i guess racism isn't as hidden as i thought it was. what should be the fate of the person who put up the noose?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Prision, clearly a threat to society and a disgusting person. End of.

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"Prision, clearly a threat to society and a disgusting person."

So now having a nasty opinion of a minority group is a criminal offense? Being disgusting is a criminal offense?

Who decides?

And just where is the threat to society?

Sure, fire the idiot who put the noose there. No problem. But freedom of expression holds for the nasty and disgusting as well as for the pure and righteous.

'Rat

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Wait, I thought the implied threat of violence to achieve a political aim fit into your definition of terrorism? Is not white supremacy a political aim, just the same as saving animals?

5. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

What's the charge? :confused:

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I guess the questions to reach terrorism are: 1) was this targeted at individuals or a group of people, and 2) was his goal political change

It seems like 1 might be a group of people, but the group seems to be people who enter the manager's area. If his comment regarding the two employees is held against him, you might say the white guy was making threats against the two guys for whatever reason - I don't see how you can stretch two named guys, because they are black (with many others who are black weren't even alluded to), to a threat against non-whites. That argument would necessitate saying that they were militant feminists, since the two guys were, well, guys.

I think 2 is even more tenuous. I see a cruel joke, and even underlying racism. I don't see an attempt to cause political change.

Like skunk - what do you charge him with, other than creating a hostile work environment - which would be a civil, rather than criminal, penalty.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Don't get too worked up about this, this is just an extension of another debate I had with 'Rat recently about the threshold for calling someone a terrorist. His assertion was that even an implied threat of violence against a random person, for the purpose of striking fear into a population, and with the intent of causing changes in public behavior (such as lighting SUVs on fire) was sufficient to consider a person a terrorist.

I simply wonder what justifications he, and others apparently, will use to minimize and dismiss the behavior of people with radical-right views, while simultaneously turning around and maximizing and demonizing the behaviors of radical left-wing groups.

I'm not saying either is right, all I'm saying is if you're gonna call one terrorism, have the intestinal fortitude to call the other terrorism as well.

Personally I don't think either are sufficient enough to be considered terrorism. But I don't think some intellectual consistency is too much to ask for.

8. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

I am against racism but sometimes I'm a hypocrite as I find myself being racist at times. :rolleyes:

9. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Ah. Well, I'm too lazy to delete my comments, so they will stand, albeit as a side commentary for later demonstration of my consistency.;) :D

10. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

wow that makes Kenticky look REAL good. Good job "sophisticated" New Yorkers. lol.

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Sorry, mac, but you're really stretching it to equate this noose deal with killing and burning and bombing.

'Rat

12. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

D.Rat....You're old enough to remember the open violence against blacks in the south (if your profile is correct). I'm sure many that went through that time would equate a noose with the lynchings, church burnings and bombings.

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I don't think that gets Kentucky off the hook. :p

You have to wonder what they were thinking to put up a noose. What's that line? "Whoever made this mistake is really going to hang for it."

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Do you take me for an idiot 'Rat?

Sigh... Let's review:
    And the most damning:
    So, to sum up, less than one month ago you were asserting that racist "hostile slogans or symbols" qualified as terrorism, yet today you are claiming that a noose -- which is clearly a hostile symbol -- doesn't qualify as terrorism.

Which time were you lying to us?

15. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Inciting racial hatred.

16. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

hmmm, i think some would say the black employees could be charged with that too. since they're black and all.

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Nah, doesn't work.

18. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Firing would work just fine. Even a lawsuit is probably a bit far, though if it became more of a threat, charges might be justified. Jail time for this though seems to go into thought police territory.

And yeah, racism still exists.