Emulate OS6 or so on OSX?

Discussion in 'Games' started by idiparker, Jul 10, 2003.

1. idiparker macrumors newbie

Jun 13, 2003
    I just cleanned out a storeroom and found a bunch of dust covered old Mac games, like Ancient Art of War at Sea, Strategic Conquest, and a few others that I remember from my days on the Mac512k.

Is there anyway I can play these games, short of breaking out my old mac and playing on there? Is there an emulator of the old OS's, or can I boot OS 6 into OSX somehow?

I just want to play some old games.
  2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    How about how are you going to get those games on your PowerMac?!?

Cool stuff, though - good luck :D

3. strider42 macrumors 65816

Feb 1, 2002
    see emulation.net i got vMac from there and can run the very first Mac operating system on my iMac.

One problem is in some cases the games play too fast because of the more modern hardware. there is a program called G3 throttle to slow down the G3 processor. Don't know if such a program is out there for the G4 or if it works on the G4. for that matter, i don't know if there is an OS X version of vMac or if it would run in classic.
  4. jimthorn macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2003
    Huntington Beach, CA, USA
    Try Basilisk II. I messed around with it a few months ago and it works OK. You need to find a ROM image of the Mac you want to emulate and a copy of the OS. I got a Quadra with System 7.5 (still available for free on Apple.com) running, but you could emulate an earlier Mac II model with System 6.x. A little hunting around on the internet will get you many choices of old system ROMs or OSs. Here's a screenshot:
  5. sageman macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2003
    i want to emulate too, keep me posted please. thanks.
  6. sageman macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2003
    can someone help me install the o/s onto the softmac? so far it boots up with a trash bin and a virtual floppy icon on the desktop.

i am trying to emulate the mac os on my laptop.

laptop specs:
    1.6ghz amd athlon xp
    win xp home sp1
    40gb HD
    512mb sdram

mac rom:
    QUAD950.ROM (currently used)

mac o/s: MacOS 7.5.3

so far i installed C:\GEMUL8R\ and when i run softmac2. i select macintosh quadra. scanned for the BIOS ROM. have it loaded. created a 100mb disk partition via (Create Unformatted SCSI Disk Image). with 14mb memory.

my disk properties are:
    mac internal floppy: system70_bootdisk.dsk
    mac external floppy: disabled
    scsi0: my mac formatted 100mb partition (which is a file)
    - all are read and write and the boot disk is default.

i have the MacOS 7.5.3 o/s. (19 files) from apple website and i got the SIT mac os8 file from a link from this site in the threads.

are my disk properties correct? where should i be mapping them too?
  7. vollspacken macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2002
    Boogie-Down Berlintown
    hey, why dont you get yourself an old Mac LC or se/30 off eBay install os6 on that machine? I think that would be the better way to play old games. I did it this way, and just messing around and upgrading those beige-platinum gems adds a lot to the "gaming" expirience (at least for me.)
  8. sageman macrumors newbie

Jul 12, 2003
    no, i dont intend to play games.

i intend to explore the o/s to get use to it. thats why. no space in my room for another PC.
  9. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    SoftMac is hopeless. Try Basilisk II, it's the best free Mac emulator out there.

When you boot up off the Mac OS install floppy or CD, it'll ask you to format the Mac HD. Let it go ahead - this won't disrupt Windows in any way. Then open the Installer and follow the instructions.

It's been a while since I emulated a Mac on a PC (I bought a real Mac and haven't looked back!), but hopefully what I've told you will help.
  10. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    You actaully got B2 running? I had the Windows version and loved it, but I've never been able to get the OS X version going :( Not that it matters, I've since bought an old LC III which is probably much more compatible and stable than B2 anyway.