Emulating Windows 95

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jimjiminyjim, Sep 8, 2005.

1. jimjiminyjim macrumors 6502

Yes, I typed "95."

I have one particular application from Windows 95 that I would like to run on my iBook with Tiger.

I've no idea what the best way to do this is, though it seems guest pc is the easiest solution. Is this correct?

My question is where to get windows 95. I've got an old laptop that is running windows 95, but I don't have any original disks for it. Has it the source been released, and can I download it somewhere? Or where is the best place to find a copy.

Thanks,
    Jim.

2. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

are you sure it will only run in win95? most apps will run in newer versions of windows, although some wont work in xp. it might be easier to find a copy of say, windows 98 or windows me. but wrt emulation your best bet might be virtual pc, but you can get a cheap, homemade pc for about the cost of virtual pc.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

homejward is correct. If the app runs in Windows 95, it most likely runs in Win98 and Win Me and even XP. Win Me is considered by many to be the worst OS conceived by Man, but Win 98 is quite stable. As for emulators, Virtual PC has the best performance. If you want to run Win95, VPC will run it faster than any other emulator. The same is true for any other version of Windows.