Emulation for Next Gen consoles

Discussion in 'Games' started by aussiemac86, May 18, 2005.

1. aussiemac86 macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2004
    the land of OZ
    Is it just me or do all three next gen consoles, (xbox 360, revolution and PS3) all run on power PC based chips?

Does this mean we are in for a whole lot of emulation software so we can play these console games on our macs?

2. Tech^salvager macrumors regular

Mar 2, 2005
    Portland, TX
    your gonna be waiting a long time before emulation comes, well not that long.
    you still have teh GFx issue which can be overcome later with time. I don't think emulation for these consoles are coming anytime soon to a mac near you.
  3. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
    wow the systems aren't even out and people are talking about stealing the games online and playing them with an emulator.

so far that we have come.
  4. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Jun 26, 2004
    I live in a giant bucket!
    I dont think its a fact of stealing games. Just people would like to be able to have a much better selection when it comes to gaming on the Mac. Since all the consoles use a form of PPC then some sort of emulator that can run these on a Mac system would rock! I would be VERY interested if this came to be true but some reason I doubt any time soon. Fingers crossed though. :p
  5. aussiemac86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2004
    the land of OZ
    I didnt mean steal them, I was just remembering back to several years ago and the connectix virtual game station, on which I played legally purchased PSX games, greatly increasing the selection of games i could play. It was really good.

There is some money to be made here for any developer who is capable, if done well they could completely open up the mac for games.
  6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Not PS3, but I suspect that if you buy the next gen cards you could run XBox 360 and Revolution games on a fast enough Mac. Not yet though.
  7. aussiemac86 thread starter macrumors 6502

Apr 12, 2004
    the land of OZ
    Why not PS3?

i found the below at http://www.ps3land.com/ps3specs.php

"Official PS3 Specs

Here are the official technical specifications for the PS3, taken directly from Sony:

Cell Processor
    PowerPC-base Core @3.2GHz
    1 VMX vector unit per core
    512KB L2 cache
    7 x SPE @3.2GHz
    7 x 128b 128 SIMD GPRs
    7 x 256KB SRAM for SPE
    * 1 of 8 SPEs reserved for redundancy
    total floating point performance: 218 GFLOPS"

Althought the 218 GFLOPS does sound a bit dodgy, later in the page it also mentions a total system performance of

"System Floating Point Performance
    2 TFLOPS"

Which agan seems slightly dodgy, but then the xbox has some ridiculous FLOPS value.
  8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004

The 2 teraflops thing is including the graphics card in the equation. That's why it is so ridiculously big. These gigaflops the Cell is capable of are because it is insanely good at certain types floating point calcs and thats what flops measure. Measure integer and the Cell absolutely sucks.

Why not the PS3? You want to take normal processors and try to run games that are designed to run on 7 secondary cores designed for the sole purpose of floating point calculations? That's like trying to emulate the PS2 on a system missing a graphics card. You're missing an important part of the hardware.
  9. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2003
    i hope the xbox 360 is possible im a student with a new g5 waiting to be delivered i dont mind paying 70$ for hours of enjoyment with a new game but a console on top of that plus other expenses is and wont be in the cards for a year(s)
    seeing as the demo's at its mtv launch were on g5 alpha kits it might be plausible
  10. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    It's baffling that people believe simply because there is a certain chip inside, it'll be easy to emulate. There are still no PC-based Xbox emulators running consistently, and at full speed -- and that's based on a bloody Pentium 3.
  11. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2003
    there is one full speed for halo and turok o0nly for the original xbox but have you noticed that gaming xbox vs pc's is close to the same emu's arnt needed especially with lesser performance but xbox or any recent console will have more games than osx

look here g5's running e3 demos also

i wouldnt care about less frame rates as the real thing it will be good enough to be playable and future hardware will bridge the gap

i really hope whatever software M$ runs on there g5's is leaked like all other M$ dev stuff
  12. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Dec 10, 2002
    But aren't the games for XBox2 developed on a Mac? Wouldn't you think they would already have some sort of emulation in use so they can actually use the games? Emulation is fascinating but I understand nearly nothing about the process.
  13. Nermal Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 7, 2002
    New Zealand
    Yep, we just need someone to leak the emulator :p
  14. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502

Dec 13, 2003
    and if it wasnt running on a g5 and some pc it would have been leaked by now i hope someone who does can though
  15. potofgold macrumors newbie

May 19, 2005
    It took 2 G5s to run one dumbed down xbox 360 game at E3. I don't think I'd hold my breath if I were you :p
  16. savar macrumors 68000

Jun 6, 2003
    District of Columbia
    They are based on PPC chips, but none of them are much like the G5. And out of Sony, Nintendo, and MS, none of them want you to be playing their games on your mac. The next gen consoles aren't just gaming systems, they are also digital hubs, and these companies are dying to get the hardware into your living room so they can sell you new services and peripherals.

Not to mention that they have tons more power than the current G5s.

Emulation is almost certainly a no. It might technically be possible, but even if a renegade programmer hacks together an emulator, I guarantee it will be crushed by any of the above developers.
  17. Poff macrumors 65816

Sep 16, 2003
    Stavanger, Norway
    My guess is that has a lot to do with the inferior graphics card in those g5's aswell, compared to the 360. They'd actually have to render much of the graphics w/cpu. Either that or dumb it down. So they dumbed it down and used graphics card from TWO G5's. My guess.