Emulation

Discussion in 'Games' started by macapple, Jun 14, 2005.

1. macapple macrumors member

2. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Yes, you could. First you'd have to know all the hardware in great detail so you could write an emulator. Then you'd have to accept that it would be merely an academic excercise, as the result would run at 1fps if you were lucky.

--Eric

3. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Please ignore the post above, as the poster obviously had someone piss in his Cheerios this morning.

Despite his crappy attitude though, he is correct that there is not a ps2 emulator for the mac. Sorry.

4. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

There are PS1 emulators that work well. Only a matter of time until a well written PS2 emulator is released (along with hardware that could run it successfully).

5. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Where can I get a PS1 emulator and roms(if this is illegal sorry I didnt know)?

6. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Emulators are usually free to possess and distribute. You can download them anywhere by searching Google.

ROMs on the other hand, are illegal to download from anywhere on the internet. The only way to legally own a ROM is to have the CD/cartridge that you copied to your computer to yourself.

7. risc macrumors 68030

risc

I like to emulate a lot of the old 8 bit computers on my Macs for old times sake, one of the best places I've found for emulators for Macs is http://www.emulation.net/ it lists a heap of emulators for OS X.

8. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

there used to be a PS1 emulator for OS9 many moons ago, worked blindingly well. Infact I have it floating around somewhere, believe theres one for OSX as well 'Fire...something or other' cant remember, last time I looked it was beta although that was ages ago. Try Google etc. GL.

9. risc macrumors 68030

risc

Or try my link above *HINT* use the search feature at the bottom of the page...

10. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

PS1 games on my dual 2ghz G5 play brilliantly. Many are at full speed, some have a few glitches and the odd few fail totally (like Doom, FinalDoom and the two Destruction Derby games) :/ But i've just been playing Rollcage again after many years!! superb :D
    Try: http://pcsx.gpost.dk/index.php

Also try: http://mac.emuscene.com/ + http://emulation.victoly.com/

HTH?

Here's something i just couldn't resist posting: http://www.icculus.org/virtualjaguar/
    I love my Jagwire!!! heh

11. beige matchbox macrumors 6502a

beige matchbox

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

I just want to know when we can expect an OS9 VirtualMac ran the same way Windows is run with Virtual PC.Especially with the switch to Intel imminent.

13. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

heh yea i know ;)

sadly i hardly got any to work.. but Alien vs Predator did! :D

14. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Flarestorm.

*loads up Final Fantasy IX*

Edit: Completes FFIX, at long last :D

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

www.emulation.net for all your mac emulation needs.

edit: dammit missed risc's post :mad: ~thinks of something to add to the thread

err, PS2 emulation dosent work very well on pc (limited to demos ect) and mac emulation lags somewhat nothing past the PS1, saturn, N64 erra is available yet, i most want a dreamcast emulator as i have like 80 games i still want to play but cant be arsed to pull my DC out for.

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

FFX is half-working in PCSX2 :D

There's an open-source Linux ver of PCSX2, but it's heavily dependent on x86 assembly, so I don't see it coming to Mac any time soon. Hopefully the Intel Macs will simplify things though :)

17. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

I ran PSX and everything down on my G4 400 at full speed, but when I tried N64, it friggin CHOKED TO DEATH. X.X

I also use my Xbox to play emulators. Teehee!

18. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yes well a PSX has a ~33 MHz CPU and limited graphic processing, whereas an N64 has a ~100 MHz CPU and dedicated SGI-derived graphics hardware. Guess which one needs more oomph to emulate :)

19. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

one reason why, back in 2003, i held back a couple of months for the G5. Much better with n64 emulation :D

20. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

Is there a way to put a Playstation game onto your hard drive and play it via the emulator? I have Chrono Cross and I really would like to play that through my Mac

21. Striderdm1 macrumors regular

Striderdm1

i dunno about having a psx game on your hdd... but see post #10 for some links. PCSX maybe what you're after?
    HTH

22. rosalindavenue macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

A little off topic, but there is a great, full speed N64 emulator called P64 that runs great on a 2.6 P4 with a bottom of the line video card-- google it if you have a PC lying around.

23. actripxl macrumors 6502

actripxl

Virtual Jaguar

Is there a version of Virtual Jaguar out for OSX? Man I remember I bought that system just to play AvP. Great game I think the Jaguars best but Doom and Wolfenstein were close. To bad the marketing was bad since it did have some potential. Still I wish there were a working Saturn emulator.

24. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

In Flarestorm, you can go to Plug-Ins -> CD Device then select the option to make an image file. You can then enable cdimage.fsplugin in Preferences and play directly from the image.

25. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Also if you have a piece of... excuse me, pc, you can use ISOBuster, best program for piece of... excuse me again, pc, for ripping iso's for free.