Emulation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by simontarr, Dec 2, 2006.

1. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Hi All,

I'm just wondering how far Windows Emulation has come along recently. I can't install Windows on my Intel iMac (my screen goes black whenever I start the Windows installation process) I really want to play Sims 2, but I've only got the PC version, and I can't bring myself to pay £40 for a mac version of a game I already own.

I don't mind turning the graphics options down, but is there a way to run the game half-decent using parallels or something similar? iMac specs in my sig.

Thanks for your help.

2. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

You shouldn't need to run Windows under emulation if you have an Intel Mac. Have you tried using Bootcamp to dual boot into Windows? I'm assuming from your post, that you have. The best thing would be to try and remedy the Windows install.

It might be worth going through the Bootcamp process all over again to see if you can install Windows.

3. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

Yeah, it's bootcamp that's the problem. I partition the drive using it, start windows installation, then the screen goes black (but the computer is still working- I can hear disk drive activity) So I can't install windows. I've posted the problem a few times on these boards, but no one seems to have a solution.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Interesting. I think we should be able to get the Windows installation problem sorted, since your kit isn't exactly non-standard. Firstly, is the installation disk XP SP2? That's the only Windows version that Apple certify will work with the Intel Macs, so if you're using SP1 it's not going to work. Secondly, are you using third party RAM in the Mac, or leaving USB/FireWire devices plugged in during the installation process? If you are try removing everything and see whether Windows installs.

5. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

I'm using SP2 yeah. I've tried installing it as the iMac came (512MB RAM) but upgraded to 2GB pretty soon after (with 3rd Party RAM). I haven't got any external drives attached.

I've even tried making a streamlined XP SP2 disc and installing it on an external drive, but can't get that to work, so I gave up!

6. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

Just thinking....could it be that I have a dicky LCD panel, that can't support certain refresh rates? Does the Windows Installation induce a different refresh rate? Because if it does and my panel can't support it, then that could explain the black screen. Just thinking aloud here- throwing some ideas around. I don't think it could be the problem, but you never know.

7. Queso macrumors G4

Are you running the latest firmware and Bootcamp versions?

BTW, LCD panels don't really have refresh rates, so if you can get OSX down to 640x480 without it going black you'll be fine.

8. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

Yep. This was the first thing I done when it didn't install.

Thanks for the speedy replies- really appreciated.

9. Queso macrumors G4

That's okay. Not sure we're suggesting anything you haven't tried already though. I'm just wondering whether that XP disk is okay. Have you managed to install to another computer with it?

10. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

Yeah, I used it on my dads computer when it needed a reformat. It's a weird problem. screen brightness can't drop below 100%. If I press F14 to dim the display by a notch, then the screen goes black. Press F15 and back to life it comes. I should probably call Applecare, but I need my computer and can't have it away for a few weeks while it's fixed.

11. Queso macrumors G4

Hmm. Sorry but I'm running out of ideas. That screen brightness thing might be significant. Are you saying that happens in OSX?

12. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

Yeah, no dimming below 100%. The reason I haven't got it fixed already is because I don't want to use Windows for anything but games. I don't really play games all that often, so it's not much of a problem, but the few I want to play occasionally, I can't. If I don't get it fixed, I suppose it gives me more time to do my college assignments....

13. Queso macrumors G4

That sounds like it might be a PRAM issue. Have you tried resetting the PRAM?

14. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

Yep, I've done that as well. Is there a way of partitioning the drive and installing XP while still in OSX? Then that way, I can hold option on retstart and just choose to boot into XP.

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Not sure what else to offer. dynamicv has hit the key ones that I can think of this late at night.

You might want to check out Parallels. I know that you said that you wanted to play games. Maybe Parallels will be fast enough for what you want to play.

16. Queso macrumors G4

No, BootCamp is required to translate the BIOS instructions from Windows so the EFI firmware in the Mac can understand them. To be honest it sounds like something you're not going to get round without your Mac getting looked at, and although the VMWare client may be quicker, Parallels isn't going to meet your gaming needs.

One last thing. If you borrowed your Dad's monitor and set up video mirroring from the iMac, do you think the external screen might still display the Windows install screens even though the built-in screen goes black?

17. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

I'll give it a try then. What other emulation software is out there? I remember reading on here about software with multi-core support, but I've forgotten what it's called.

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Now that would be interesting to know what happens and may give an indication of what might be wrong with your iMac.

19. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

That's a good idea. I thought of doing that, but I don't have a mini-dvi adapter. I have stacks of DVI-DVI. I think I read somewhere that certain MacBook Pros had this problem, and attaching an external display allowed you to view the installation screens.

20. imacintel macrumors 68000

I know this happened with the iMac 24 inch. I have not heard about this on iMac 20/17 inch. As a previous iMac owner, I have installed windows on it. This never happened. If this actually is a screen problem, I am shocked. LGPhilips LCD Company usually makes wondeful displays.:(

21. simontarr thread starter macrumors 6502

simontarr

I know, its really weird because in OSX the display is perfect- certainly the best I've ever owned. I keep telling myself it can't be a hardware fault- if I can see stuff on the screen, then its working. Why it can't dim below 100% or bring up the windows installation screens is beyond me :(