Emulator or bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mazzy150, Jul 20, 2006.

1. mazzy150 macrumors newbie

Jul 19, 2006
    I am not sure whether i should use bootcamp and buy windows xp or use an emulator because i want to play games on my macbok e.g rise of nations,rise of nations rise of legends and age of empires 3.Do you know if it will work straight off on a macbook or will an emulator or bootcamp have to do it? I have ordered a macbook white 2.0ghz 100gb 1gbram.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    Pretty much anything with 3d graphics will need Bootcamp.

Some of those games are native to the Mac though. I know AoE 3 is. Although I don't think you can play against Windows users if you have the Mac version of AoE 3.
  3. mazzy150 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 19, 2006

if i use bootcamp how much of the drive do you think i have to partition?

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    How much do you have, and how much do you have left?

I recommend above 15GB. XP doesn't take that much space, but games will.
  5. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    10 to 15GB should be plenty, maybe less if all you're going to do is game.

Just to pull you up on some terminology, there is no "emulation" involved with applications like Parallels. Parallels uses "virtualisation" to get Windows to work - it creates the impression of another machine (but still x86) within the Mac and Windows runs on that are near-native speed for everything but 3D games and heavy graphical uses.

Emulation was how VirtualPC for Mac worked because it created a whole new architecture within the PPC-based Macs, translating PPC instructions into x86 instructions and vice-versa.

There is no processor translation with virtualisation.

Don't mean to offend, just something I thought you should know.
  6. Kaioshin macrumors member

Jul 17, 2006
    Šoštanj, Slovenia
    You will need to use boot camp to allow Windows direct hardware access for graphical hardware acceleration. For normal programs a virtual machine is enough, but, keep in mind all hardware interactions done from within Windows in that instance is slowed down due to the fact it has to go through a mediator.

When I installed boot camp, I reserved 10 GiB for Windows, but in the end that wasn't enough. You should check the size of those games and add a few GiB to that. Sorry I can't be more specific.
  7. mazzy150 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 19, 2006
    thank you very much i have a 100gb hard drive so i think i am going to use 15-25 gb to partition.If i have a friend who has a copy of windows xp service pack 2 bought from a store will i be able to use it if he has already installed it on a computer?

8. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    No, Microsoft, being jerks, require you to register it with them and will prevent you from installing it on two computers.

More accurately, you can install it on two computers, but the second computer's copy of Windows will lock up and stop letting you use it after 30 days.
  9. mazzy150 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jul 19, 2006
    O.K, but on my dell the windows website says i have an illegal copy of windows and we have been using it for 3 years like that and it has not stopped working,i tused to have the original version on it but we got a virus so this pc guy reinstalled windows on it.

P.S,i have been a pc user all my life.
  10. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

Jun 15, 2005
    There is no AOE3 for Mac.
  11. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

May 5, 2006
    Rochester, NY
  12. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Sep 27, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    just do bootcamp anyway! I would, but I don't have an intel mac yet! I can just live vicariously through you. I'd say 10 gb would be fine but 15 would be great just to make sure.
  13. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    True but I have an interesting copy i've installed it 10+ times on multiple computers (registered every time) and never had a problem.
  14. lewion macrumors regular

May 31, 2006
    you could also use an external drive and install games on it... works like a charm on PC so...