Emulators

Discussion in 'Community' started by Durandal7, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Aren't emulators fun? Here's a screen I took out of Megaman 7 running on my iMac. Emulators can be very fun if you can get ROMs.

Attached Files:

• snes.jpg
      snes.jpg
      File size:
      72.4 KB
      Views:
  2. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

its all about the old school games. ever since I discovered emulation.net I've had a number of emulators on my system. Currently I'm playing Zelda 2.

3. kiwi_the_iwik macrumors 65816

kiwi_the_iwik

I'm a bit of an Emulator "Junkie". So far, my many emulators include:

* 68000 Mac Emulator (vMac, MinivMac, BasiliskII)
    * Commodore Amiga (UAE)
    * ZX81/Spectrum (ZXSP)
    * Arcade (MacMame)
    * Windows PC (VPC 5.0.4)
    * Apple IIgs (BernieIITheRescue)
    * Playstation (Virtual Playstation)
    * Atari ST (NoSTalgia)
    * Commodore 64 (Power64)
    * MSX (fMSX)

...and the list goes on...

So - if you're into the emulator scene, or just want to relive your mispent youth in front of a software rendition of an obsolete computer, then take a look at www.emulation.net and be prepared to go "wow"...

;)

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yeah, i finally found an Amiga emulator and can play my fav old game (trial by fire: quest for glory) and NES and SNES emulators to run things like SuperMario RPG and Crystalis... i'm not much of a gamer but emulators are NICE.

:)
    pnw

5. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

In my local arcades one machine has become very popular: the Ultracade. It basically is an arcade that can handle many games (most I've seen ~30).

They have to be roms, since they couldn't fit that many boards into one machine (and different arcades have different hardware too). So the MacMAME/emulator idea is getting great results at the arcade too.

I think roms/emulators have been a big reason why many arcades are dying out. That and consoles with arcade-like graphics.

I personally use VGS to play my burnt PS games. It is faster than the original machine for everything.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i've seen pictures of a guy's setup like you described; he took an old console and stuck a linux box in it, nice flat monitor, and hooked up a joystick, made a universal console. Roms for thousands of games on dozens of systems. Only makes sense someone would market such a thing :) I wonder how they got licensing tho...

:)
    pnw

7. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

Right now I'm running:
    Atari 2600 (Stella)
    Nintendo (RockNES)
    Super Nintendo (SNES9X)
    Sega Genesis (Generator)
    Nintendo 64 (SixtyForce)
    Commodore 64 (Frodo)
    Apple IIe (IIe)
    Mac Classic (vMac)
    MacMame

I would highly recommend SNES9X as it is the best SNES emulator I have found thus far.

8. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

the best game ever was the original mario brothers game for nintendo :D.

9. Durandal7 thread starter macrumors 68040

The Original Mario Bros. was never on the NES, this is the original Mario Brothers. Probably not as polished as the version you're used to.

Attached Files:

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

The original Mario Brothers came out on the Atari 5200 game console and was later converted to the Atari computer line (which were very close). Super Mario Brothers was available for Famicom (Family Computer) and NES.