Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Warhaven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
As of 10.9 or 10.10, Apple removed the ability to execute cronjobs or schedule the computer to shutdown from the login screen. You have to be logged in in order to do either of these. This is problematic in a computer lab environment where everybody signs in with their own account, and logs out when done. As such, none of my computers are shutting down in the evenings.

So... anyone know if there's a plist or global setting somewhere where I can toggle this behavior and re-enable it?

Dargoth

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2014
Don't use cron on OS X. Use launchd. Type this into the Terminal: man launchd.plist. It's pretty simple to learn. Create a property list file (.plist) in Xcode or a plain text editor, and add entries as needed. There are resources online for more information.

Reactions: Warhaven

Warhaven

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 3, 2010
Don't use cron on OS X. Use launchd. Type this into the Terminal: man launchd.plist. It's pretty simple to learn. Create a property list file (.plist) in Xcode or a plain text editor, and add entries as needed. There are resources online for more information.

Okay, ty. I'll see if this works from login screen. Also found this... super handy:

http://launched.zerowidth.com/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.