Enable Quartz Extreme Hack for PCI Radeons!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Hemingray, Aug 28, 2002.

1. macrumors 68030

Hemingray

YES! A little extra glory for my old G4 400 PCI graphics with a Radeon 7000! By default, Quartz Extreme is NOT enabled for any computers with PCI graphics. HOWEVER, check out the following forum for a discussion on how to override this!

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945231&m=7390915135

While the results weren't staggering, enabling QE actually did boost performance! Keep in mind that this will only work for PCI RADEONS. It will not work for original Rage cards.

This is a beautiful thing. :cool:

2. macrumors 65816

G5orbust

cool

my friend got quartz xtreme to work on the rage 128 8 MB on his Tibook.

Haha, 16 Mb min my ass!

3. thread starter macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Update

Update: A utility has been released that will automatically change the config file without having to root through the system:

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=16006&db=macosx

" PCI Extreme! enables machines with PCI graphics and a compatible graphics card [i.e. PCI Radeon/Radeon 7000] to use hardware acceleration in Quartz Extreme, the new composting engine in Mac OS 10.2, Jaguar. Hardware acceleration for Quartz Extreme on PCI machines has proven to boost performance by 5-15% when performing light tasks such as web browsing, e-mail, and word processing. However, it slows down heavy tasks such as encoding or decoding video, especially DVDs by up to 50%. This results in dropped frames, studdering audio, and video falling out of sync with audio.
    Bottom line: When the GUI is piped through the slower PCI bus it tends to choke up other tasks that require heavy processing. "

So it's not ALL good. Maybe Apple disabled it for a reason after all... :rolleyes: :D

4. macrumors G5

Sun Baked

5. macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

errrm WTF. I post this nearly 24 hrs before you and you get more replies??? guess i should use buzzwords like "hack" , or even "naked", better yet "sex".

i got it..

Hack OS Sex to enable QE on naked PCI Radeons.

6. thread starter macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Strange, I did a search for "PCI Radeon Quartz Extreme" and the engine didn't come up with any matching results related to the subject... sorry Spark. You get full credit. :)

7. macrumors 6502a

Geert

Hey G5orburst, would you be so kind to tell us how, or post a link I have a rage with 8 Mb myself, and you know that I want to enable it if it speeds up things.

8. macrumors 6502

show us the link

WOW! please post a link!

9. thread starter macrumors 68030

Hemingray

YIKES! (No pun intended)...

Well, I'm back from testing my G4 with and without Quartz Extreme. And I must say I'm pretty surprised.

I used the program SpeedRun to test the results of my computer before and after. Here are the results. Computer was freshly booted and run in identical settings (i.e. programs and windows) in both cases. All numbers are an average of SEVEN test results. LARGER numbers are FASTER/BETTER:

WITHOUT QUARTZ EXTREME:
    Graphics: 256
    Hard Drive: 322
    Processor: 147
    RAM: 261

WITH QUARTZ EXTREME:
    Graphics: 108 :eek:
    Hard Drive: 315
    Processor: 147
    RAM: 261

HOLY SMEG! The graphics performance FELL about 150% with Quartz Extreme enabled! My computer is a G4 400 PCI with 1GB RAM and a Radeon 7000.

Bottom Line: Almost all G3 users have reported slight to significant improvements with enabling Quartz Extreme on their computers. Me, however, I think I'll go back to the way it was... :p I definitely wouldn't recommend this for Yikes G4 owners with my configuration.

10. macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

you posted at like 3 am est time... a lot of late posts seem to go unnoticed or at least less noticed

no reason to get too fired up

11. macrumors 65816

G5orbust

i have no idea i how he did it. he said it ran pretty poorly, but it still ran. It wasnt something anyone else figured out, he just did it. I'll have to ask him how he did it.