Enabling iPhone for disk use

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sk8mash, Jun 30, 2008.

1. macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I don't think anyone here has picked up on this yet, but did you notice the following in the new iTunes plist:

[​IMG]

I seem to remember alot of people wanting to be able to use there iPhone as an external drive.

If this is already posted, just delete this thread!
    :apple:

2. macrumors 68030

gibbz

Awesome find! I, at least, had not heard of this. Many people will be very happy.

3. macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

nice

4. macrumors 65816

nice find, I hadn't heard anything about this yet. I never understood why the iPhone was never usable as a hard drive before... This should make a lot of people happy.

5. macrumors 6502

Now for the real question: Can we open the files on the iPhone that we drag 'n' drop onto it, or is it just for transferring between computers?

Any signs of a 'MobileFinder' in 2.0?

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

I really doubt we will be able to open the files on the iPhone, I guess it will be similar to the current iPod disk use.

At the keynote Jobs said we could open iWork and Office documents on the iPhone right? Doesn't this mean they have to release some application to enable you to be able to view them?

7. macrumors 68000

youve contradicted yourself there...

anyway, the current iphone can view pdf, doc, and xls files. iphone 2.0 is just expanding that to support ppt and iwork

8. macrumors 6502

Unfortunately, I think they are just attachments in mail rather than having a stand-alone app. I expect a good 3rd party word processor though - maybe open office that would let us edit the files as well as view them.

9. thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Oh right, I had the wrong idea with that then!

10. macrumors 6502

I think its been said before that these strings are often just copied and pasted and they don't actually mean that the iphone will or will not have these features. I thought it was mentioned in an article on macrumors about a year ago, but I couldn't find it by searching.

11. macrumors 68030

Hopefully this will be in the firmware. It's basic functionality that should not be difficult.

Phazer

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

Agreed, which is why this is a good sign!