Encarta like app.?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by gangst, Jul 3, 2005.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Affter constantly searching the internet for obscure historical event sand similar things, it reminded me of when I used to use encarta about 9 years ago. Are then any apps for the Mac which are as in depth and thorough as MS Encarta?

Thanks

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I really think Encarta is great, and I'd like to hear responses, but since you said searching the net.... are you aware of Wikipedia? (www.wikipedia.org) It has been growing by leaps and bounds, and frequently has a really good level of detail. :)

3. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

yea, i use wikipedia all the time, i really wanted an encarta like app, so when I'm on the move I don't always have internet access.

4. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Britannica? I believe I have it somewhere but I don't see the Dvd version on their website.
    Yes its 2005 the ultimate reference source,so you must be able to buy it somewhere,I don't remember where I got it. ;)

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    There's World Book - given away free with new iMacs and iBooks. It's somewhat similar.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Amazon has it -- can't vouch for it, personally, but the last time I used it, it seemed very nice. Link. It comes on a multi-platform disc (mac/win). :)

7. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the advice i'll try britannica, I remeber trying World Book on my friends iMac and thiniking it was a pretty poor effort.