Enclosure for old iMac HD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GanChan, Jul 7, 2005.

1. GanChan macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2005
    I want to remove the hard drive from my ancient, Rev-A Bondi iMac and install it in an external enclosure. What types of enclosure will work with this particular HD, and how cheaply could I manage this?
  2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Mar 17, 2005
    London, UK
    Is it the original old iMac hard drive with what 4gb space? Or is it 6gb? If it is then it *really* isn't worth buying an external enclosure. They cost about £30-£60 ($50-$100)but a 4gb hard drive is worth about 99p (~$1.50). You'd be better off getting a USB memory stick with a gig of memory or something like that. If you're dead set on getting an external hard drive enclosure just search google for 'external hard drive enclosure' or have a look on newegg if you're in the us. If you're in the uk have a look at www.dabs.com or www.maplin.com. You might want to try ebay too.
  3. sw1tcher macrumors 65816

Jan 6, 2004
    If it's a Rev A iMac, then it's a 4GB hard drive. If it's another Rev, it's a 6GB HDD. In either case, it's not worth it to put it in an external enclosure IMO. The small capacity wouldn't be of much use for a back up drive.

If you really need an external hard drive, buy a HDD with more storage capacity than 4-6GB.
  4. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 21, 2005
    I only want to pull some data off of it. The power supply in the iMac is shot, so the only way I can get the HD to spin would be to get power to it through outside means.

I agree that it's not worth anything as a backup drive. That's why I'm looking for the cheapest way to do this. If I take it to an electronics place they'll charge at least as much just to pull the data from it. Or not?
  5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Aug 9, 2000
    Link to OWC's External HD Enclosures

According to the Specs of the Bondi iMac it's an ATA drive. It's 3.5 inches. Looks like the cheapest one is US$20. But I'm with Spanky (wow...), it may not be worth it. You may be better off just buying a complete external HD, and just ditch the drive. Or, if you're just looking to save the original drive from certain destruction (perhaps replacing it with a larger capacity one) I'd say just skip it.