enclosures/cases for hard drives

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by GiantsFan, Sep 2, 2004.

1. GiantsFan macrumors member

May 15, 2004
    san jose OR riverside, Cali
    anyone know of any good external enclosures/cases for internal hard drives? if so, please post the link
  2. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

Mar 22, 2004
    United States
    Go to www.newegg.com and do a search for them. They have a lot of enclosures for hard drives. I bought one from them and they were great. I ordered the enclosure on Tuesday and had it on Friday with regular shipping. I highly recommend them.

3. JRam macrumors member

Jun 25, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    I went out and got a Metal Gear Substance by Techimo. And while I really enjoy the way it looks, I find that whenever the power is on then the hard drive is doing something, which means I can hear the bugger going *wheeeeeeee!* (your basic hard drive runnin' sound) and that gets slightly annoying. I guess partly a problem of just having a loud hard drive, although I can tell ya that the Metal Gear case's main priority isn't to dampen noise.

But if you want a snazzy external hard drive case.... its a winner :cool:
  4. cpjakes macrumors 6502

Aug 15, 2003
    Buffalo, NY
    I like GraniteDigital.com's offerings. They have hot swap cases, so you have a few drives in caddies/trays and swap them in the main enclosure. I've got two 80GB and a 120GB drive in mine and they're great. Especially if you need a lot of storage. The main case is around $200 and the trays are $30, but it's cheaper than buying another $100 full size case every time you need to expand. Plus, if you were to have enclosures in different places, moving the drives in the caddies works out really well.

They've got FireWire 400 and 800, USB 1.1/2 and regular (non-hotswap) cases.

5. scottwat macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2003
    Ohio USA
    Multiple HD case?

Ok I like the idea hot swapping but I have about 3 100 or 120 gig harddrives, I have one in a firewire case and then I have been swapping in and out, but thats getting to wear on the case and clips. What about a double drive enclosure? even a firewire raid enclosure? Doesn't matter how its set up really. Just dont want it to cost all that much.
  6. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

Apr 14, 2004