Enclosures?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by transeja, Mar 7, 2005.

1. transeja macrumors newbie

Hey guys, i was wondering whether or not i could grab a 3.5 Hard Drive and stick it in an enclosure. And whether that will be able to work as my external drive with my powerbook.

I'm asking because it would be cheaper for me to grab a 250 gig HD and stick it in an enclosure, rather than buy a prebuilt external HD.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes
    and Yes

Most enclosures are IDE (Parallel ATA) so stick with a parallel ATA hard drive, not SATA.

Look for a bare hard drive that comes with a three year warranty.

MacAlly has a nice Firewire/USB2 combo case in aluminum that I am using.

Thanks
    Trevor
    CanadaRAM.com

3. transeja thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah, i was looking for firewire,

thanks for the info

4. fuzzynavo macrumors regular

i second going for the macally aluminum enclosure. you can get the firewire-only version for around $30 at newegg or amazon. ive been using it for a few weeks and have had no problems, installation was easy as well.

5. tykles macrumors member

I've also got the macally. only thing is, there's no power button- kind of a lame oversight IMO. it's quiet and it looks good though.

By the way, if you haven't seen this site yet (DealMac ), check it out. I was patient and picked up a 250 GB Hitachi IDE drive for $70!