Encoding DVDs for use with iTV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Blazer5913, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

I am so excited about the upcoming iTv, and although some think it may only play iTunes movies, I am almost sure that it will be able to play all types of video files, bought and not bought from the Movie Store, as long as its a type of file playable in iTunes. I am ripping almost my entire collection of DVDs to my external HDs, and I just wanted to have your advice on the correct settings before I actually start this long process. First of all, I am using Handbrake, most would agree this would be the most most efficient/best way to do this. Secondly, what type of files should I be making, and what codecs? Honestly, space will not be an issue, as I have 2 500gb HDs, and not nearly enough videos to fill them all up, so if I video takes up 2gigs, so be it. Should I be using h.264 or mp4? I have a pretty nice theater setup so quality is definately a major concern. Time to encode is not because I will basically do one each day, and one each night. I have it set to 320 for audio... Anybody can give like a basic outline of each thing I should have it set to in order to do this process right (I don't want to have to do it over again.) Again, ripping DVDs basically to .avi/m4p (whatever you think is better for the future and iTV).... Thanks alot for your help!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Just my $0.02, if you keep it to the iPod compatible specs (i.e. 640 wide x the aspect ratio) you're almost guaranteed iTV compatibility. This is great for 4:3 content where the quality would be pretty good, but for really wide content it might not be so good...

So rip all your 4:3 content first. :p

B

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Nothing is certain about iTV at this point. I think your best bet would be to wait until its final release, when we have more info about its capabilities.

4. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well the whole thing about the iPod format: I have an awesome TV setup downstairs, HD surround sound and all, and with the iPod's resolution, that quality would suck... Currently, iTunes can support both mp4 and h264? Any ideas of which path to go with. Maybe it's not a bad idea to just wait and see about the iTV's standards. But just for a reference, what would be the best settings to rip a DVD to a HDD using Handbrake? Also, when will we find out more about the iTV? The Macworld in January?? thats soooo long!

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The default settings for HB are 640x480 MPEG-4 for 4:3 video, i.e. iPod compatible as long as you keep the bitrate down below 2.5 Mbps. I've tried ripping at 720x480 with HB, but it's rarely worth the hassle of non square pizels (for 4:3).

Audio is the real issue.

B

6. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, iPod concern is not a problem, don't really put them on the iPod at all.... h264 or mp4?

7. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

PYR0M310N

you want to rip the dvd's using mac the ripper (search for current download location) and then change them to mp4 using handbrake

8. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Why add a step? Just use handbrake from the start.

9. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

I already have all the VIDEO_TS folders and files on my computer. Encoding them to mp4 or h264 avi is the main issue. Still any answers on this one?

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not until the iTV finally ships, unless you do what I suggested and make the (most likely valid) assumption that whats good for the iPod is good for iTV...

B

11. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

i don't think there's an answer for this one...since you have video_ts already maybe you need to wait until specs are available.

i think the resolution will be better than current max resolution available on iTMS just because it has been speculated that iTV may support HD, and since quality is an issue for you, then you need to wait.

12. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

one more thing...

you can use a work around to get front row to play video_ts folders, maybe that will be your best option

13. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think I probably will just wait until it is released to actually encode them. Also, what is this work around to have Front Row play Video_TS folders? Also, can Front Row access files if they are on an external HD and no in the Movies or Music or Photos sections?

14. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

http://www.moonlightmac.com/Projects.html ?

Doesn't really enable FR to play VIDEO_TS, but makes FR call up DVD player to do so...

B