Encoding DVDs to iPod

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Benjamindaines, Jul 22, 2006.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I'm using HandBreak right now to put DVD movies on my video iPod and it takes forever, about 2 hours. Are there anyother faster apps to do it?

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

What are the specs of your computer? And think about it this way, a DVD holds 4.7GB of space for a single layer and 8.4GB for a DL, and your computer is encoding that much data. My intel iMac can do it in about 40 Minutes and my iBook takes well over 3 hours. But no, I don't know of any faster apps and your computer is doing it really fast compared to my iBook.

3. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I am using a 1.9 GHz iMac G5 and doing other things at the same time, sometimes I run the DVDs at night so I don't know exactly how long it takes when its only encoding the DVD.

4. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Dude...

It takes two hours to rip and encode a full dvd movie? That's actually not bad.

Other alternatives are to use Mac the Ripper to rip the entire DVD and then set up a queue to encode the movies overnight.

Oh, and handbrake DEFINITELY isn't that fast on any G5. I suspect it may be optimized for Velocity Engine, but I am not sure. It also seems to perform better with faster processors, for example my 1.5ghz 5200go equipped powerbook is faster than my buddy's 733 G4 tower with a kick-ass video card AND faster than a 1.6ghz iMac G5.

So...MTR to rip four or so movies, handbrake overnight to encode them all. Works good for me.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Oh and...

Oh, my buddy's Macbook pro (1.83, gig ram) is about five times faster at encoding anything.