Encoding from Quicktime to Palm Treo 650

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AlBDamned, Nov 1, 2006.

1. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005

I'm using Quicktime to re-encode .avi files to play on my Palm Treo 650 using TCMP movie player.

I've tried a few encoding options and it works well, but the viewing size of the file is always bordered. Does anyone know what settings I need to use on Quicktime to ensure i have a full screen?

I've tried maintaining the aspect ration using letterbox but that was really small, I've tried it with "fit to size but still got borders" and now I'm trying it with "Crop" as I assume that'll just cut the sides off?

The Treo screen is 320x320.

Any help much appreciated :)
  2. dpaanlka macrumors 601

Nov 16, 2004
    320 x 320 is not in any ratio to any normal video size. Videos are not perfect squares, so you will have to either crop off the ends, stretch out the video, or view it with borders. I would say stick with standard 320 x 240... then you'll have a small border at the top and bottom only.
  3. AlBDamned thread starter macrumors 68030

Mar 14, 2005
    Thanks dpaanlka. I've got it at 320x240 at the moment and fitted to size so the ration looks ok (not stretched or anything) but the borders are a bit bigger than I'd expect when you take away the interface (full screen mode as it were).

I'm encoding a cropped version now, which should cut off the ends, but I'm not sure how much will be left, or how big the borders will be. I guess it's a compromise because as you say the screen isn't the right dimensions for video. Pretty impressive for a two-year old (tech-wise) smartphone though. it's just a shame the ol' PowerBook chugs through video so slowly!