encoding movies as windows media?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by f-matic, May 30, 2003.

1. f-matic macrumors member

hello all,

just a quick question - i'm getting ready to put some movies up online, which are currently encoded as mp4s... i'm just doing some testing and realize that none of my friends with PCs can check out the movies, so i was looking to encode them in windows media format, which seems to be what most of them use. does anybody know a program which will encode movies in windows media format?

best,
    np

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-f-matic

If it were me, I'd put a link to Quicktime Download on the site. Better for them if they use the open standard...

3. f-matic thread starter macrumors member

good point

...but i'd like to make it as easy as possible for less-tech savvy PC people to view it (i know one friend who found it near impossible to download windows media, let alone this whole fancy mp4 thing!). i also think people are less likely to want to go to the trouble of installing new software just to see a movie, so i'd like to make it as simple as possible.

any more suggestions?

best,
    np

4. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Hi- I just went through a similar situation. I put up a .mac iMovie web page. I didn't encode the video to QT fully when I posted it. So it was a pain for everyone. I think if you encode your movie to QT fully you will be good to go. The pc crowd should be happy to have QT. By encoding fully I mean, not confusing your quicktime movie with one encoded especially for the web.