Encoding Settings for the AppleTV (DVD, TV Shows, Ect...)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Blazer5913, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Blazer5913 macrumors 6502

Now that the aTV has finally been announced, I am ready to jump on that bandwagon. I've been waiting for Steve to announce its specific video specs before I start encoding everything I've got for it. I would assume for most of my DVDs, I'll use HandBrake. What do you guys think are the best possible settings for me to use so I'll be able to watch all my DVD's on the aTV? Basically smallest size with best quality? Also, if I diddn't buy stuff from the iTunes store, then how would I got about getting all that small text info that Steve showed next to each movie/show in the aTV demo? Their aren't any tags like that in iTunes? THanks alot

2. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Why wouldn't you just watch DVDs on you TV normally? Will you be able to fit all your DVDs on the aTV's HD?

To convert DVDs to a video format, I like to use DVD2OneX. I believe this app will do what you want.

In answer to your tag question, this is a good point. Maybe there will be a function or a program that allows you to add tags to video files when the aTV ships.

3. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

What i meant was convert the DVD's to a smaller single video file for each one. Preferrably using h264 into a mp4 file. Im thinking in the future, DVD's will turn into the same thing as CD's, where everything is digital and nobody really uses media anymore. Thats just my thought... And how much cooler is it to browse your movie library with all their cover arts floating around, with the titles, stars, and plot synopsis in the corner? My jaws just dropped when I saw this interface! Any more suggestions?

Also, I'm not really planning on putting that much on the actual aTV's HD, but moreso my MacBook Pro's 120gb HDD, and hopefully my external HDD if thats possible...

4. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

It doesn't seem very practical to carry your whole video collection around with you. Look it getting a large external drive, if you don't already have one, and perhaps setting up a media server.

5. joshysquashy macrumors 6502a

The problem with a media server is it would not be able to stream to appleTV unless it could run iTunes. Apple should have an extra hd bay empty on this device so people could add extra space if they need it, and/or different capacities in the original, so people could choose what they want.

6. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well I do have an extra HDD that I was planning on using for this exact purpose. But now with the aTV relying heavily on iTunes, will I still be able to use it? Still though, what are some optimal settings you guys recommend? I have a 50" HD Plasma downstairs and wish for this stuff to still look great on the TV. Right now I am ripping my seasons of 24, and does this sound right? I am setting the average bitrate to 1000, and using the h264/avc codec? Each episode comes out to around 350mb? Any other better ways?

7. southbark macrumors regular

I am sure someone will take it apart and figure out how to upgrade the hard drive to 200gbs.Just like they did with the mac mini.also knowing apple there using 5400rpm drives anyways

8. Mernak macrumors 6502

Personally I find 1000 bitrate to be a bit low quality when it comes to watching any quick movement. I would suggest a minimum of 1500, most of the stuff I have is ripped at 2000, but YMMV.

9. Blazer5913 thread starter macrumors 6502

Assuming that all this in the future will be used in accordance with the AppleTV, would you recommend encoding with the mp4 or the h264?