Encrypted Disk Image or KT is a moron

Discussion in 'macOS' started by katie ta achoo, Jul 16, 2006.

1. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    So, I made an encrypted disk image through disk utility to store an on-going document. "notes to self", that sort of thing. Nothing important.

I have locked myself out of it.
    I can't remember the password.. I've tried all my usual passwords and none of them work.

I am already aware that I am a fscking idiot. Is there any way to get into the disk image?
    should I just be happy there was only one file in there? (although it was long and I had footnotes. YES, I use footnotes in a journal..)

If it's a loss, it's fine. I'm just going to keep feeling stupid and move on.

Uhh.. any ideas on getting back in? I feel like such an IDIOT. Arrgghh..
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    nope no way to get into it.
    keep trying possible passwords?
  3. katie ta achoo thread starter macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    I figured as much.

Thought someone out there might have a brill idea or a program..

*goes off to break into her own .dmg*
  4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    its pretty darned good encryption, so really there is no way to hack it.
    did you ever have the password stored in your keychain? as long as that wouldn't have been overwritten it could still be in there, but again, that defeats the purpose of the encrypted disk image in the first place.
  5. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

Dec 24, 2005
    Depending on what application you used, you might be able to get the file back. In Word, go to File --> select name of document. In TextEdit, File--> Open Recent.

I'm not sure about others but I am sure that more have them.
  6. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    I don't see how this would help; since both of those menu options point to the file on the encrypted disk image, they're just going to say that the file can't be found if the image isn't mounted, and it can't be mounted without the password.

Word does store temp/autosave files so I suppose there's a chance one of them is still floating around if that's what the document was created with, but they generally get deleted on quit, so it's a longshot.

And actually, I rather HOPE there isn't any way into the encrypted image without the password--I have once or twice used those to store sensitive information at work with the theory being that even if somebody got to the file, they'd have no way of getting into it.

I'd keep it around hoping for inspiration or a brain spasm that reminded you what the password was. Either that or look into some program to brute force it--unless you use really long passwords, it shouldn't take THAT long on a modern computer, right?