Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
I used to use Keka in Snow Leopard to encrypt files, but Keka doesn't seem able to encrypt in Mountain Lion.

Is there a FREE way to encrypt files in Mountain Lion?

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: GnuPG...

Hi 2012Tony2012,

The GnuPG package (gpg2, gpg-agent, etc.) is free and runs under Mac OS X, various Linuxes, Windows, and various Unixes. You can encrypt and decrypt on any system that you wish.

You also get to choose the length of your public key/secret keys, so you can make it as secure as you wish. And you can publish your public key on the Internet so anyone can find it. I currently use 2048 bit keys for my own encryptions. I believe the longest PK that has been cracked so far is 64 bits, and that took something like 5 years of effort. They have been working on cracking a 72 bit key for the last 6 or 7 years using the spare cycles on thousands of PCs and are only about 2% done.

Regards,
Switon

----------

Of course, if Shor's algorithm is implemented on a quantum computer at some time in the future, then these encryption schemes will immediately become vulnerable to attack...

Switon

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
You can use Disk Utility to make an encrypted image (DMG) and put the file inside that DMG.

Yes, this right here. This is what I did.

It's actually really simple to do, and once it's in place, you simply use one password to mount the encrypted image as a drive which you can see in Finder. Then you can use it just like you would an external drive. When your'e done, you just eject/unmount it and now you have one large encrypted file with all your stuff in it.

2012Tony2012

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 2, 2012
You can't. I did not realize you needed to open the files in Windows also.

Yes I need MS Windows ability too in case my Mac dies and I need access to my files, then I just decrypt them on the MS Windows laptop.

Any other ideas?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
What about a shareware called Espionage?

Is there a Windows client for it? One of the OP's requirements is that there be cross-platform support with Windows. It wasn't in his original post but it was in one of his subsequent posts...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.