Encyclopedias for OS X

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by zpmqxonw, Mar 6, 2005.

1. zpmqxonw macrumors newbie

I just ordered a refurbished 12 inch, 1.2 ghz iBook from Apple. (It's estimated to ship tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!) I used to have an old Dell PC that I installed Encarta on, but I have realized that Encarta will not work on my new mac. So, I was just hoping some of you mac geniuses might have some ideas for Encyclopedia software that would be compatible with my new mac! Thanks

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You get a copy of World Book on iBooks which is a basic encyclopedia. Might be enough for what you need - with the web as a back up?

3. zpmqxonw thread starter macrumors newbie

Cool! So the worldbook will come preloaded on my iBook? I also love wikipedia's variety of articles, but since anybody can edit them at any time the credibility isn't always the greatest. I was about to buy Britannica but I read the interface/software isn't that great? Thanks for the great advice!

4. iHatePCs macrumors member

iHatePCs

The only problem with WorldBook is that the web server to update it is down and has been for months and month and months. I really enjoy encarta, so I kept a full copy of it on my windows xp pro machine and I use the RDC client for the Mac to connect to it. It's somewhat of a hassle but if you really like encarta its worth it! :p

5. lordmac macrumors regular

I have Britanica is not bad the software was by a complete moron as it goes way to slow for what it is, but it has a massive amount of content plus if u ever need to quote it of reference it it britanica is very reputable name. But wikipedia is also great i often use both.