Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
So today we saw the launch of the Intel-based Mac mini... complete with new software such as Front Row with Bonjour. Now, obviously we should not expect ANY more PPC-based machines from Apple... but there is a huge installed base of PPC-based iMacs, PowerBooks, iBooks, Mac minis, and Power Macs out there, and they don't stop working just because of the new Intel-based machines.

My question is this: Is Apple going to bother releasing/selling software such as Front Row for older machines, which are perfectly capable of running it? Or are they going to use the new features as a lever to convince people to buy new hardware? I'd like to be able to run Front Row on my PowerBook and my two Mac minis, and I'd even pay to be able to do it legitimately.

I'm just a bit concerned that Apple is only paying lip service to the concept of continuing to support older hardware.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
FrontRow will only ever be supported on machines that have Apple Remotes and shipped with FrontRow. This includes the last PPC iMacs.

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
clayj said:
My question is this: Is Apple going to bother releasing/selling software such as Front Row for older machines, which are perfectly capable of running it? Or are they going to use the new features as a lever to convince people to buy new hardware? I'd like to be able to run Front Row on my PowerBook and my two Mac minis, and I'd even pay to be able to do it legitimately.

I'm just a bit concerned that Apple is only paying lip service to the concept of continuing to support older hardware.
Well, with reference to Front Row, there is a hack-of-sorts allowing it to run on machines it didn't originally come bundled with. I am not sure how "legitimate" this is to you.

I have it running on my G5 iMac, being the revision right before it's integration. It is activated through Keystroke and since I have a wireless keyboard and mouse, it only slightly less elegant than using a IR-based remote.

As for the larger picture, there was a G5 based iMac with FR, so PPC should be continued to be supported if only not to exclude that model.

Don't have a link for the "hack". I am sure someone will point you in that direction, if you didn't know about it already.

Hope I was helpful...

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
robbieduncan said:
FrontRow will only ever be supported on machines that have Apple Remotes and shipped with FrontRow.
But surely Apple COULD develop and sell a package which includes the FrontRow software, a USB IR remote receiver, and an Apple Remote. There is nothing stopping them from doing this if they want to.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
stockscalper said:
Daystar offers 2 MHZ G4 processor upgrades for AL Powerbooks. That'll keep the power in Powerbook for some time.

Wow how slow were they before? 2 mhz :)

Yes apple has lost interest in PPC i'm afraid. Stupid they sell the remote and the apple dock but still don't want people with ppc to have frontrow.. :mad:

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
Evidently, you can control FR w/ either SailingClicker or Romeo, using bluetooth (and your phone) instead of Apple's remote and IR.

You could do this on any mac, officially supported or not (with the hack). This opens up some interesting possibilities if, like me you have various vintages of macs scattered around the house and want to use the new features of FR2 (w/bonjour)

FWIW

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
clayj said:
But surely Apple COULD develop and sell a package which includes the FrontRow software, a USB IR remote receiver, and an Apple Remote. There is nothing stopping them from doing this if they want to.
While you can get the hack to work (it's trivially easy to do so), I completely agree that an Apple-supported package with remote, receiver, and official FrontRow CD would likely be well received. They could price it at, say $50, and it would sell well.

arcobb

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2005
Colorado
blackfox said:
Evidently, you can control FR w/ either SailingClicker or Romeo, using bluetooth (and your phone) instead of Apple's remote and IR.

You could do this on any mac, officially supported or not (with the hack). This opens up some interesting possibilities if, like me you have various vintages of macs scattered around the house and want to use the new features of FR2 (w/bonjour)

FWIW

Why oh why... is apple usng IR on any of their macs... when we have Bluetooth? :confused:

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
arcobb said:
Why oh why... is apple usng IR on any of their macs... when we have Bluetooth? :confused:
It will have dramatically cut down the production cost of the remotes themselves, and of other compatible devices like the universal dock and the new speakers.

jadekitty24

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2005
The poor section of Connecticut
I sincerely hope that this isn't the direction Apple is going. They are pretty well known for supporting older systems, well, at least a bit better than its PC counterparts, at least in my opinion. I can only hope that the computer I now own (ppc) will be as seriously regarded by Apple as the latest and greatest. I'm no less a customer than a person who has bought an Apple machine for the first time.

me_94501

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2003
<guess class="educated">We can probably expect PPC support for about as long as Apple has supported OS X on older machines. I'd say about five-six years; three to four at the least.</guess>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.