Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Who here thinks that the current revision iBooks and Powerbooks are definantly the last PowerPC revisons before Intel and a major redesign for both? I certaintly think so. The Powerbook update with no clock speed increases was obviosly done by a skeleton crew who couldn't wait to finish it up, just to get on the Intel development teams and help with the real new stuff. With both form factors really standing the test of time it is time for a change for both of them. With the updates though, they didn't even touch the 12", just doing the lazy thing by dropping the Superdrive model below the price of the combo model. Because of this there is absolutley NO ROOM for a PowerPC iBook update. Apple very reluctantly "updated" the Powerbooks just for people holding out for an update its obvious there wont be another PowerPC Powerbook revision. And because there is NOWHERE for the iBook to go since there weren't really any new features to add from this Powerbook revision like last time like the SMS or the scrolling trackpad I have come to the firm conclusion there will be no more PowerPC notebook updates whatsoever and if you want a Motorola PowerPC processor in a notebook then you realize that these are the best and most powerful PowerPC notebooks that Apple will EVER produce.

Demon Hunter

macrumors 68020
Mar 30, 2004
Sounds about right to me.

But what happens when they change the form-factor? It won't look like the Cinema Displays or PowerMacs anymore. :rolleyes:

PLEASE NO CLEAR PLASTIC

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
A Stoned Throw From Ground Zero
Those of you waiting for the first Intel based PowerBooks and iBooks should keep in mind that Apple ALWAYS holds back on a first release so they
can market a " new improved " update 6 months
to a year later.
Rev A's are also usually lab rat units, yet countless users jump the minute they see anything new.
The Rev A iMac G5's are the perfect example of this.

Very few people actually NEED more performance than the current PowerBooks offer.
Even if you're seeing what appear to be superior
specifications in a comparable p/c laptop, keep in mind that those machines are dogged by Windows
OS issues.

In the majority of cases where someone needs more
than a portable can provide, they usually own or end up buying a full desktop too.

I'm sure the Rev B dual core Intel based PowerBooks
will leave the current models in the dust, but that's
pretty much guaranteed with any single processor
machine you buy today.

If your laptop is going to remain your only computer, then you're going to pay huge premium for portablilty and extra performance and still never be able to compete with a consumer level desktop.

You can load up a current 15" PowerBook for about $2000-$2400 or buy an iBook and a new iMac G for about the same amount.

This set-up would run you about $2.00 per day over the next 3 years.

Buy your coffee at 7/11 rather than Starbucks
and it's free! :D

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
I suppose we could see mini DVI out and 64 MB VRAM
in the iBooks just before Apple updates the 12" PowerBook to 13WS.

OR

Apple gives the 12" iBook all the features of the 12" Powerbook and the 14" is replaced by the 13" WS HD
with all the features of the current 15" model.

iAFC

Suspended
Sep 24, 2005
Western Civilization
There will be one revision for PPC iBooks at MWSF 2006 for sure, maybe one for PBs too. Only by June 2006 we can expect Mactels, and the first to receive a Intel processor probably is Mac mini. I just don't see why the iBook would be the first to get Intel processors.

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2005
USA
iAFC said:
There will be one revision for PPC iBooks at MWSF 2006 for sure, maybe one for PBs too. Only by June 2006 we can expect Mactels, and the first to receive a Intel processor probably is Mac mini. I just don't see why the iBook would be the first to get Intel processors.

It might most likely be the Mini and the iBook because all the portable models lag behind the iMac and the Power Mac quite a bit in terms of performance. I believe that the laptop models generally have more demand than the Mac Mini - so it'd be more appropriate for Apple to release an updated iBook first. Or they might decide to reward the higher performance seekers (aka "those with deeper pockets") by releasing an Intel based PowerBook followed by an iBook. :) Who knows?! :)

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
iAFC said:

Agreed, the PPC iBook has one more revision to go. However the PPC PowerBook is seeing the Intel chip first.

Mac Mini and iBook seem to be on a similar update timeline. :)

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
maya said:
Agreed, the PPC iBook has one more revision to go. However the PPC PowerBook is seeing the Intel chip first.

Mac Mini and iBook seem to be on a similar update timeline. :)

I don't think so. In my opinion these iBooks are the last iBooks before Intel. What else can they add? or improve upon before Intel without sacrificing Powerbook sales. There is no where to go in RAM, no where to go in hard discs. They got Airport and Bluetooth 2.0 as well as SMS and scrolling trackpad and the Powerbooks didn't get any new features to add this time around. You can't bump up the grapics memory to 64mb because then you will have a 64mb 9550 which will then be better than the 64 mb 5200 in the 12" Powerbook which will again canabilize Powerbook sales. There is no where to go in clock speed because Powerbooks didn't get their clock speeds bumped up. How can their be one more revision? Last time it took 9 months to get a iBook update. I see a situation like the eMac which was over a year before un update. It makes more sense for Apple to do a 9 month update followed by 1 year to Intel than a 9 month update and two 6 month updates. There is a reason Apple waited 9 month for the last update instead of updating them with all the other computers when TIger was released. The reason was is so that can be the final update.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
At least one more revision. Though the PowerPC's are due, way over due for an upgrade, I doubt that they will be the first lines to see revisions. I would guess that the Tower's get it first. Also, Apple knows the power of staggering upgrades. It is likely that the PB line will receive the Intell chipset, months (perhaps even a year) before the iBook will. I would also expect some major case revisions to both lines. I don't want to do the research, but in memory, processor changes have occurred separate to case mods for the iBook line, but not for the PB line.

PowerPC will be here for a little while longer. Let's hope I am wrong and the Intel shift comes quicker, with few problems, and with a cost reduction that hits us, the consumers.

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
There is a certain degree of load'em up and move'em out going on with this last PowerBook revision.

Apple pretty much did the same thing with G4 towers just before the G5 PowerMacs were released.

I think we might still see something new just before Christmas.

They can't upgrade the iBooks without upgrading at least the 12" PowerBook.

If they can improve the 12" PowerBook with a 13" WS HD displays and 128 MB VRAM options, then that provides the green light for improvements to the iBook graphics and connectivity.

In the meantime Apple needs to fix the minor glitches in the new PowerBooks hopefully with10.4.3

rye9

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2005
New York (not NYC)
FFTT said:
I suppose we could see mini DVI out and 64 MB VRAM
in the iBooks just before Apple updates the 12" PowerBook to 13WS.

OR

Apple gives the 12" iBook all the features of the 12" Powerbook and the 14" is replaced by the 13" WS HD
with all the features of the current 15" model.

About when do you expect this?

FFTT

macrumors 68030
Apr 17, 2004
I'm just speculating really.

The 12" Powerbooks are made by a different contractor than the 15" and 17" models.

This last revision completely ignored the 12" PowerBook dropping the price $100, so we might want to consider them on clearance.

The iBooks have generally adopted the last PowerBook features as the PowerBooks are improved.

I could be wrong and Apple will continue to cripple the iBook's DVI output capabilities, just to make the PowerBook upgrade more attractive.

The trouble for me is that I want all the improved features of the 15" model in a 12"- 13" form.

I don't think there's enough room in the current 12"
chassis to beef up the GPU, the display and provide better connectivity, so a slightly larger 13 WS may be the answer.

I'm fighting temptation right now because I really want a portable but I also want to be able to connect my portable to my 24" display without the spanning hack.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
finalcoolman said:
I don't think so. In my opinion these iBooks are the last iBooks before Intel. What else can they add? or improve upon before Intel without sacrificing Powerbook sales. There is no where to go in RAM, no where to go in hard discs. They got Airport and Bluetooth 2.0 as well as SMS and scrolling trackpad and the Powerbooks didn't get any new features to add this time around. You can't bump up the grapics memory to 64mb because then you will have a 64mb 9550 which will then be better than the 64 mb 5200 in the 12" Powerbook which will again canabilize Powerbook sales. There is no where to go in clock speed because Powerbooks didn't get their clock speeds bumped up. How can their be one more revision? Last time it took 9 months to get a iBook update. I see a situation like the eMac which was over a year before un update. It makes more sense for Apple to do a 9 month update followed by 1 year to Intel than a 9 month update and two 6 month updates. There is a reason Apple waited 9 month for the last update instead of updating them with all the other computers when TIger was released. The reason was is so that can be the final update.

You misunderstood what my response was. :)

As soon as the PowerBooks get an Intel inside, the iBook line will see the last rev specs of the PowerBooks (without the hi-res screen).

The PowerBooks are going to take on a new feature set, that of a mobile "workstation." You can see where Apple is heading by looking at the PowerMac line, and they are heading the "workstation" end on the Quad configuration. ;) :)

That is why you will see "one more" iBook update, which will get the last PowerBook rev specs. ;) :)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
YA i think its the end for PPC 'books becuz i think with those G4 dual Core chip Freescale has out i think Apple could have put them im PB. But they were like why waste our time!:eek:

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
maya said:
You misunderstood what my response was. :)

As soon as the PowerBooks get an Intel inside, the iBook line will see the last rev specs of the PowerBooks (without the hi-res screen).

The PowerBooks are going to take on a new feature set, that of a mobile "workstation." You can see where Apple is heading by looking at the PowerMac line, and they are heading the "workstation" end on the Quad configuration. ;) :)

That is why you will see "one more" iBook update, which will get the last PowerBook rev specs. ;) :)

Cool, but there is one flaw in your anolgy, the one flaw that makes this iBook revision the last. That flaw is that the consumer line is supposed to switch to Intel BEFORE professional.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
I hope to see DVI or even HDMI across the portable range with intel inside.

Likewise, Rev A's will be likely "problematic" unless Apple really has put everyone onto making them perfect - which is possible given the huge issue Apple have with the PB range specs.

High Def screens for the iBooks are inevitable. The 14" really needs some work to be marketable again.

I think the Intel addition will see Dual Cores in PBs and Single Cores in iBooks, with a few other features left off the iBooks to keep them seperated. I hope, like I said, they ALL get DVI/HDMI out and ALL get screen spanning with decent video cards (128Meg minimum by the time we see them in 8-9 months at the earliest)

Tamer Brad

macrumors regular
May 13, 2005
finalcoolman said:
Cool, but there is one flaw in your anolgy, the one flaw that makes this iBook revision the last. That flaw is that the consumer line is supposed to switch to Intel BEFORE professional.

Incorrect.

Jobs said the low end would switch first, not the consumer line, the LOW END.

This is Powerbook, iBook, Mini. The G4 models. They need Intel more than the G5 models do.

I predict the order will be Powerbook, iBook, Mini, iMac, Powermac.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
Tamer Brad said:

ya thats about right! but servers come at the end and if the eMac make it through the updates it would likly be around the same time as the Mini(but they won't make a big deal out of it)

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Tamer Brad said:
I'd have to agree with that. The clues add up. Not too great updates for pb (esp. 12") indicate they should/will be first. Huges improvements (IMO) on the powermac indicate it will be last. And with iMac getting a reasonable boost in specs 2nd last sounds about right too.
I'd say Jobs has some things up his sleeve, with June '06 giving him some space ;)
Who knows, we might see an intel powerbook Q1 next year.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Tamer Brad said:
Incorrect.

Jobs said the low end would switch first, not the consumer line, the LOW END.

No he didn't. SJ has never said which Macs would go Intel first. NEVER. Not at WWDC, not ever. We can presume that the laptops will go first due to the shipping schedule of suitable Intel chips but Jobs has not given any indication as to what will happen to which Mac and when.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.