End of the world coming! Our Sun To Go Supernova In 6 Years!

Discussion in 'Community' started by peter2002, Oct 14, 2002.

1. peter2002 macrumors 6502

Dutch astrophysicist Dr. Piers Van der Meer, a top expert affiliated with the European Space Agency claims the Earth's Sun will explode and go Nova in just 6 years.

The alert was issued after an international satellite photographed a massive explosion on the surface of the Sun that sent a plume of fire 30 times longer than the diameter of Earth blasting into space.

"It's a sign that the Sun is ready to blow . . . I don't know if I can put it any more plainly than that," Dr. Piers Van der Meer.

"It will be like a nuclear bomb trillions of times more powerful than the one dropped on Hiroshima going off at the center of our solar system.

"When that happens Earth will be instantly incinerated along with all life on it. It's like when a marshmallow falls into a fire, blackens and melts."

Scientists say the problem is the Sun is literally getting too hot.

The core temperature of the Sun is normally 27 million degrees Fahrenheit. But in recent years it's climbed to an alarming 49 million degrees, says Dr. Van der Meer, leader of a team of Amsterdam-based space scientists who've been tracking the changes in the Sun.

"It's quite similar to when a star goes supernova at the end of its life," Dr. Van der Meer explains. "Over the past 11 years, we've seen our Sun go through changes frighteningly like those that took place in Kepler's Star right before it was observed going supernova in 1604."

Maybe Jesus or one of those other luny prophets is coming back after all.

Peter

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/wwn/20020918/103236120009.html

2. diorio macrumors 6502a

Well, s***. I don't know what else to say except, hopefully their wrong.

3. beatle888 macrumors 68000

beatle888

well the new POWER4 processor should be out
    in a year so that gives us FIVE YEARS to be on
    top. We will finally beat Intel and MicroSoft.

4. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

Hmmmm... that's bad news... But I'm with you diorio, I hope that they are wrong...

5. Tiauguinho macrumors 6502a

Tiauguinho

HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA!!! That's what I call thinking positive! :)

6. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

notice how its in the entertainment section? :S hmm odd

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

**** that.

Just keep on living your lives. If we'd had 300 years or so to prepare we'd actually be able to do anything to save our collective butts assuming this is true.

Knowing that this is likely bull**** AND that if it's true there's precisely nothing to be done: **** it. Just be nice to each other and spend the next 6 years having the time of your lives.:rolleyes: :p

8. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

9. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Did anyone else notice this article is from the "Weekly World News" in the "Supermarket Tabloids" section??? :rolleyes:

10. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

This has to be the biggest f**king pile of horsesh** I've ever read.

Going on what I've learned personally, the Sun has to run low on fuzing all the basic elements (H and He) before it can expand. When the Sun has to make heavier and heavier elements it grows and tries to compress everything together, creating the most heat in the center of the Sun and less heat on the surface. The Sun started out as an average star, so it will grow to about 100 times it's current size, boiling away our first two planets, then our Earth, and possibly Mars. However, even that isn't big enough for a star to explode in a supernova. It's overall mass and energy just isn't great enough. Instead, it will collapse and become much smaller than it is right now, to a hard, supercondensed core.

For a supernova to occur, the Sun would have to be extremely intense and already have a great size/energy capacity. Our Sun just isn't that.

As for the six years, I'll be Greg Dan'ed if the Sun dies in 6 years. In order for the Sun to even grow to about 100x it takes something more than 6 years, say, around a million or a billion. I'm not sure on the numbers, but if it took six years for the sun to grow and explode, we would have known during the age of the cavemen.

Alltime bullsh** rating: :rolleyes:^5

12. peter2002 thread starter macrumors 6502

You're right. The Sun will just go Nova. Supernova is reserved for stars much bigger.

Oh, well, it is the same. We will be toast.

Peter

13. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Re: Sorry about the double-post but.....

Uh... we're planet #3... :D

Sounds like a buncha **** to me too. But if it is true... oh well! Nothing we can do about it.

All I can think of right now is Terry Gilliam as one of the Prophets in Monty Python's Life of Brian. :D

14. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

What a useless thread. The sun is not going to go supernova ever, and besides, flares like that happen on a regular basis.

The sun will eventually expand into a cooler Red Giant before dwindling into a dwarf star and eventually just dissapear. It will not go supernova or "nova" :rolleyes:

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Uh, 1 tiny problem with this theory (2 if you count the tabloid thing). Even if our Sun goes out, won't it take awhile for the light to stop hitting us? And even if it went Nova, do you really think it would incerate us that quickly, if at all? I'm no astronomer, but the math doesn't quite seem to add up.

Please tell me this is MEANT to be a joke.

Stupid crack-pots giving us legitimate Apocalyptic Conspiricy Theorists a bad name. Besides, we all know the world will end in 2012 when the aliens attack and destroy us all because we refuse to be slaves. It says so in the Mayan calendar.

Plus Mulder says so. :p

16. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I'm not so sure. peter2002 seems to be trying to back it up.

17. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

I don't know how credible this article is.

Look on the left side of the page and see what section it is located in (there is a black arrow by Weekly World News).

Notice the two links above that?

-jeff

Attached Files:

• wwn.jpg
      wwn.jpg
      File size:
      39.6 KB
      Views:
  18. xelterran macrumors 6502

i saw a program on TV quite recently about space - it said we have at lease 4billion years before our sun novas, nothin to worry about guys.... i hope :rolleyes:

19. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

This seems like the actions of a deluded soul trying to spread confusion in the mac community.

20. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

I am an avid amature astronomer which by no means makes me an expert but I just have to say one thing.

Hahahahahaha

Did anyone else read the part about how the changes our star has been going through are frighteningly similar to those of a star observed in 1604.

We don't have telescopes today powerful enough to actually compare surface or any other conditions on another star to ours. Even in the most powerful telescopes today stars look little more then little points.

This guy the scientist that is has got to be a crack pot.

Oh and yes by what we know (which is nearly nothing) our star is incapable of actually going supernova.

21. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Re: End of the world coming! Our Sun To Go Supernova In 6 Years!

yeah, they had SO MANY telescopic observatories and solar temperature readings in 1604.

22. King Cobra macrumors 603

>Uh, 1 tiny problem with this theory (2 if you count the tabloid thing). Even if our Sun goes out, won't it take awhile for the light to stop hitting us?

Light takes between 8 and 9 minutes for light from the sun to reach Earth, depending on where the Earth is in revolution around the Sun.

>And even if it went Nova, do you really think it would incerate us that quickly, if at all? I'm no astronomer, but the math doesn't quite seem to add up.

[Flashback to something I saw when I was much younger on my father's Quadra...]

As the Sun expands and heats up the Earth more, our oceans will slowly begin to evaporate, little by little. It will be so dry that almost no moisture will be left. There may be violent storms on the dry, cracked crust of Earth. After that, our crust will soon start to melt (around when the Earth's surface temperature heats up to around 1000 kelvin), then boil away, and our Earth will become nothing but part of the Sun.

I changed that around a little, since the exact thing I was watching was from so long ago.

>Besides, we all know the world will end in 2012 when the aliens attack and destroy us all because we refuse to be slaves. It says so in the Mayan calendar.

Ah, the year of the Dragon. :D

Doomsday was predicted to be in 2028 because of some asteroid hitting Chicago. The asteroid was named the 1997 xf-11, because of the discovery in 1997. In 1998, more improved research showed that it would miss Earth by around half a million miles.

My point: People make up this pink elephant sh** (and, yes, the sh** is pink colored) and try to get attention, or whatever. We are most affected as a whole, because some of us (probably nobody reading this) are too misunderstood by how certain things work, or whatever. Some cultures have their predictions but they very rarely come true.

Dot Product: Some people need to get a f**king life.

23. peter2002 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, you're right. This is a tabloid story. A friend emailed me this today, I guess he got the last laugh.

But I'm really worried about Bush or Osama getting us in a nuke war in 2003.

Peter

24. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Ok everyone,

This is from a Tabloid.
    The sun is never going supernova or "nova"
    Solar flares occur on a regular basis
    The sun naturally goes through temperature cycles
    This is a lame Y2K style doom prediction

Any questions?
    I suggest that before posting a thread proclaiming the end of the world you do a little research .

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Thanks for the clarification about the light/distance thing. It's been awhile since Science class. I guess I should have been more specific about the rest. I meant, doesn't it take a long time for a star to fully go from being fine to going Nova (or SuperNova)? This isn't one of those, "oh look, the Suns exploded, we're dead now", kinda things.

Isn't a pink elephant what you see when you get drunk?

Seen a couple of those in my life.