end of the world?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Sep 30, 2004.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

www.religioustolerance.org/end_wrl1.htm has some interesting theories

nostradamous thought july 1999 would be especially bad, but we would survive...people like to choose the end of a millenium...the apostles and disciples of christ thought the end would come in the first century ad

thoughts?

2. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

Some people like to think a lot about the end of the world, but completely forget to consider the end of their lives. We all somehow expect ourselves to live till we're old and satisfied, but that's not a given. I do think it is important to know where the world is heading towards, and as a Christian I fully expect Jesus Christ to return one day. However, in my daily life, I focus on what Christ wants me to do today, rather than wait till whatever happens. I find that more fruitful.

PS. Nice guitar!

3. takao macrumors 68040

takao

anybody remembers the 2000 crazyness ?
    the end of the world probarbly has been predicted since thousands of years...it's nothing new

4. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

Interesting...the site www.bibleufo.com was most particularly interesting to read.

I do think the end of the world, by whatever means, is inevitable and will happen. I couldnt guess at a particular reason, but I would side with those who believe it will be sometime soon (next hundred years). I think it will happen during my lifetime (Im 20).

Opposed to religously, scientifically speaking, a devistating meteor blast is very probable. I cant remember the exact figures, but scientists have calculated statistics about the probability of life-ending impacts hitting planets at a comparable distance to ours from the center of our galaxy (the closer you get to the center, the more dense with objects it is, meaning the more probable impacts are).

Those scientist said that on average, planets at our distance from the center of our galaxy have experienced life-ending impacts about every 20 million years. The last time Earth experienced such a hit was 65 million years ago.

Statistically speaking, we should have been hit with a similar blast 3 times by now.

How long before our luck runs out?

5. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    That's some seriously messed-up stuff. Of course, the "lose weight" and "diet" banner ads lend it significant credibility. :rolleyes:

Besides, the X-Files already told us when the end of the world would come: December 2012. :D

6. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

7. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

It's all an excuse.

Some use it as an excuse to not live their lives: "Why kick ass at life if the world will end soon anyway?"

Others as an excuse to commit atrocities: "It's the end times and I'm gonna git every las' one of you devil-worshippin' hippes!! *BLAM*BLAM*"

Most use it as an excuse to cover the fearmongering that's been the favourite in the press and Federal Government since the fifties: "It's nothing to do with me... I voted my conscience... I'm sure My candidate will stave off the nukes for another four years."

Western civilization is OBSESSED with the end of the world. If there's one thing that scares westerners it's something that will outlive them. If there's anything that scares westerners more, it's anything that's potentially eternal.

In short: GET OFF IT AND LIVE YOUR LIVES. SURE, YOU COULD GET HIT BY A FREAK BALL OF AIRLINE "ICE" IN THE NEXT FIVE MINUTES BUT IT SHOULD NOT EFFECT YOUR LIFE. DEATH IS ALWAYS ONE ANURISM AWAY. DEAL WITH IT.

With all that stress you're more likely to lift something heavy wrong, tear the artery running along your spine, bleed out into your abdomen with a slight backache and die in under 5 minutes. So chill out dammit. ;) :D :eek:

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Which world are we talking about here? For my parents' generation, their world ended around 1967, with everything in the successive decades becoming more foreign and therefore, somewhat oblivious.

For me, my world ended in the last few years, with the Political Climate and the US participation in a War ( a novel experience for my generation.),not to mention a media environment which is prone to make me both scratch my head and go into seizure.

Not to mention milestones like entering/graduating college, 1st professional job, kids etc.

An actual end-of-the world (or end of humanity, rather) is as irrelevant as it is inevitable. Just seems like an rationalization of some to be lazy or make excuses for their future...

...blah.

9. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

But what about John Titor?

Well, according to Time Traveling John Titor, the world doesn't end completely, rather we are just thrown back into the stone age, a Mad Max type world, a world that still has the ability to make time machines . . .

http://www.johntitor.com/

It's a really funny and interesting read, check it out if you haven't already.

10. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Well according to the Mayan calendar, a calendar that accurately tracks celestial events, the 5th world will end and the 6th world will begin Dec 21st 2012. Now I'm not sure that the Mayans thought that the end of the 5th world would mean a purge of all life or not, but the 6th world is when 'magical forces' are supposed to come back. I'm not personal saying that's doomsday or anything, but on that day I'm going to sit back with a good scotch and welcome the 6th world. :D

11. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

The Mayan Calendar should not be read the same way as western calendars. Westerners like tangible things. Things they track in Almanacs. The best way to describe the Mayan Calendar is as a "Psychotropic Almanac" They use it's units to track the evolution of Human Consciousness. Each "world" or "Sun" represents a paradigm of dominant Human behaviour in that particular "Sun".

I met this guy: ( http://www.2near.com/edge/carl/enlight.html ) recently. He's got a very clean read on how they approached their calendar. I like the fact that he makes no doom-based predictions and simply presents a model that comes very close to what's actually going on.

12. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

will christ come back? i believe so...the first time he left this earth plane he said he would be back and on the third day, after his death, he did come back and was seen by no less than 500 people

so it is not strange that his followers and friends were expecting him back in their lifetimes...but to christ, time stands still and before abraham was, "i am" proclaims christ because past, present, and future all exist at the same time

if there is no return of christ and evolution takes its course (i believe in christ but also in evolution...and also that the earth is round), man, who is a short lived species, will run his course rather quickly in a few million years

that's short compared to the species lifetime of a horse or shark

the earth ends every day that a species is wiped off this planet far faster than one is generated...in hawaii alone, species are wiped out every year and scientists believe each species came to the island once every 50,000 years

it won't all end in a bang, but piece by piece as has been the case with man's intrusion on nature...each species is like a rivet holding a flying airplane together and each time a rivet is lost, we are closer to calamity

as far as i am concerned, we have not only lost rivets, but a few doors, wheels, and an engine or two at this point and are being held up by a thread

13. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

my wife befriended an old mayan man (who is now in his 70s) who was the last of the tribes in his nation not affected by westerners...he had a lot of interesting things to say about time and "endings" in life

he told her how the ancient ways and understanding of the stone age (pre columbian) mayans has been completely lost and even today's mayans could never understand the context of the once great culture

14. NusuniAdmin macrumors 6502a

NusuniAdmin

The end of the world hmmmm :rolleyes: *begins to fade out from reality and thinks about end of the world and forgets he was riding his bike*

5 seconds later....

*rides off a cliff*

10 seconds later....

*relizes he was still riding his bike*

anyways i dont think world will end from any religious thing, i think it will be either A) We kill ourselves or B) Yellowstone National Park Supervolcano explodes finally (after being 40+k years overdue) and we have a huge nuclear winter and all life dies

15. BRM macrumors newbie

Christ will return and the Bible says when that happens there will be billows of smoke, the sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood. Hummm...that sure sounds like a Yellowstone eruption to me.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Floods,Earthquakes,Pestilence,Wars & Rumor of Wars I would say we have a big yes on those. Sure they have allways been with us but not in this magnitude since recorded history.
    We have 2 things to fear Maybe 3, ourselves and a chunk of rock running into our planet.

17. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

asteroids have been the big thing of the past few years...he he...thanks hollywood but it's extremely rare...for a second, let's look at science and probability vs possibility

volcanos, on the other hand, kill a lot of life and the right one...if big enough, will estinguish us, all other mammals, and most plant and sea life...the debris thrown from a major eruption would cool things to near absolute zero and that would be one heck of a winter...far worse than any man made nuclear winter

nova and all the other science shows do point out that theoretically, it could never really reach the full absolute zero, but it would be just a few degrees warmer than absolute zero...but that is still very cold...an ice age is friggin balmy compared to the winter aftermath of a major eruption and there are a few volcanos that can spit out that much sh** if they feel the need

i guess if that happens, the volcanic eruption that is, i will move to a warm planet like pluto and walk around without my shirt, paint myself green and yellow, and cheer the green bay packers ;)

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Don't forget that the poles are going to flip and cause all our electricity to flow the other way, making all electronic devices useless. And since we don't know how to live without electronics, including cars and such, we'll die. We'll die from starvation, as we don't know how to hunt, and there aren't any animals to hunt in cities. We'll die from a lack of clean water, as our society is so sterile that any bacteria can cause havoc.

Well, that's what I saw on the Discovery Channel. I don't know how much is actually possible, but seemed interesting. :)

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Hurricanes and floods in FL, Earthquakes in CA, Volcanos here in WA. Not to mention the wars and terrorism. We're all doomed. But I've heard April 2012. Could be December, allowing for time shifts and daylight savings, leap years, etc. Either way we're all doomed.

Ragnarok ends the same way.

20. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

omg, look at what u guys were sayin, im sure NO ONE thought of any of this durin WWII or WWI and those were MUCH harsher times than now.

21. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

But they don't happen in the Bible until after the Rapture. And we haven't had the Rapture yet.

For the uninformed - it's when all the Christians go to heaven, leaving the unbelievers behind. That single event should convince a lot of them though!

22. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

i hope you are being sarcastic. absolute zero is the point at which there is "absolutely zero" heat released, meaning atoms collapse.

i agree a major volcanic eruption could really mess some stuff up, but there is *no* way it would take earth to absolute zero. and what if this earth-covering cloud actually held heat in, like the alleged greenhouse effect? maybe all the polar ice caps melt and we're flooded out.

actually, it wouldn't be the temperature change/extremity that would take us out, but rather the sunshine required for vegeatation to flourish would be blocked which would end up choking out life.

but, is that the end of the world? no. the world would still be here, just nobody here to see it!

23. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i didn't say it would go all the way to absolute zero...all the stars in the universe would have had to burn out completely for that

a major winter caused from debris, if bad enough would bring us within a few degrees of that temperature...but the debris would settle after millenia and things would gradually warm back up but there would be no life around at that point...only when the universe has expanded and all the stars have blown out will there be anywhere in the universe that will remain at a constant absolute zero

the clouds covering us would not cause a greenhouse effect in the event of a major, major eruption...some debris in the atmosphere can cause global heating, but what i am talking about is end of the world event level catastrophes in the form of an eruption

if i tossed a covering, let's say a blanket on you on a cold day, it would help you survive...but if i tossed a million blankets on you, i would squish you like a bug and you wouldn't be a happy camper...a major, life ending volcanic eruption is not something any of us want to be around when it happens

don't worry, reaching the full absolute zero is many years away

24. Thom_Edwards macrumors regular

wow, i can't believe i've actually posted to this thread twice! i'm trying to resist, but i can't!!!!!

not to attack anyone's religion, but i've searched the Bible for the "rapture section", and i just can't find it. the rapture is actually an extremely new concept in a relatively new religion. this first started around the turn of the 18th century and was "formalized" around the turn of the 19th century, as the people of the day were getting into transendentalism. this circa 1700 movement started a rather major shift in religion, which was actually an attempt to deter the previous major shift in religous interpretation brought on by luther and calvin in the mid-16th century.

i do know about the scripture in first thessalonians, but i find it odd that it took 1700 years for people to derive this notion. also, people seem to only quote 4:17, which references those still alive being taken to heaven. however, if you read 4:16, you see that those that are dead are taken first. then, in chapter 5, it mentions that jesus' return will "come like a thief in the night" and suprise those who "are sleeping," catching them not living right. this does not match up to the rapture concept.

i find religion very fascinating