ending of AI

Discussion in 'Community' started by Alte22a, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Alte22a macrumors 6502

My girlfriend and I watched AI the other night and we gotinto a debate. In the ending I thought that the beings of the future are aliens but my girlfriend thinks that they are robots. Any comments?

2. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

well, all that depends on different things...

If we create robots that somehow take over the planet (think Matrix and Terminator), then they could very well be the beings of the future, but they would need a reason to exist. Aliens, could also be possible if there is life on other planets, but we don't know for sure about that.

If humans ever expand beyond the planet Earth in however many thousands of years, then we may become the beings of the future, because we will be able to survive on different planets. Of course, this change might cause us to evolve in different ways that may make us seem to be aliens to people who have been living on Earth for thousands of years.

The ending of AI, I felt, was to satisfy the emotional side of the movie rather than the scientific side...

3. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

In the future Steve Jobs leave earth and moved to a distant planet. What you see are the latest generation of Apple GX computers that looks just like humanoids. Cool isn't it?

4. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

No offense, but the crack you were smoking must have been cut with Ajax or something. Why would aliens randomly show up at the end of a movie about advanced robotic creatures? They're robots, son, despite their unfortunate resemblance to the aliens in Close Encounters of the Third Kind. It's quite an ironic ending, if you think about it. The flesh fairs existed to do away with robots, something that many people saw as a threat to human existence. In the end, that fear has come true.

And as G4scott said, the ending was there to bring the journey taken by the character David full circle: He'd spent his whole existence desiring and seeking only one thing: love.

I know I'm in the minority when I say this, but I think A.I. is Steven Spielberg's best movie. I wrote a random essay to that effect. If I can track it down, I'll post it on here.

5. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

That was Kuprick's movie. Spielberg probably added that ending. I imagine Kuprick would have ended at the fade out just before the end. Those were not aliens, those were robots.

6. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Hmm. I thought they were aliens. And so did my film entire film class that I'm taking right now. I guess textbooks can't always be right.:eek:

P-Worm

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It seemed obvious to me that they were the advanced generation of the robots.....regardless, it was still amazingly stupid and probably one of the all time worst endings for me....

D

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Man, you have *no* idea had badly I had to pee during that movie and it simply refused to end...I was so happy when it faded out in the sub, but then it kept going and just went even further downhill from there. I bet if Kuprick had still been around, it could have been an awesome movie.

9. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Spielberg did add that ending, which I really hated. I too thought they were aliens, and why would that be so ludicrous? I assumed that the ending was about how aliens had come to earth in the future and all of humanity was gone, but there was this sole robot molded in the image of man and that as the sole rrepresentative of a long dead species he was finally a "human", at least as far as the aliens would have known. I thought it was supposed to be irony that an alien race saw him as human even though the humans did not.

Regards,
    Gus

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Wow, I finally found someone who thought the same thing as I did. I too thought they were aliens who found him as the best example of humanity, which showed the true irony of humanity as they had persecuted these robots for being who they were, but yet representing that very thing of humanity that another species found to be so precious. Anyway, I still thought the end ruined any chance of it being good no matter how many times I'd watch it.

11. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

So I guess the only question now is, "When is the sequel coming out?":D

P-Worm

12. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

If there is a sequel, I'll know not to order a large Coke...

13. Alte22a thread starter macrumors 6502

I totally agree with Gus and kept my thoughts to myself until my girlfriend watch it recently. I commented on how the ending was a little odd from the rest of the movie and said that it was off when the aliens came, she looked at me puzzled. Aliens? I said YES! So today we rented it looking for references to Aliens/robot ending. But having said this there was a refernce from Gigolo Joe saying that humans feared the robots and in the end it will only be the robots. Sort of made me think twice about the whole film.

14. uhlawboi80 macrumors 6502

gus got it right. at least thats how myself and some film students at UT read into it. And i did think they were aliens, not advanced robots.

now, i think it was left open to interpritation on purpose though. The reason being to get across the point that we only exist because we know we exist. in 20 million years if there is no trace left of us, we didnt exist. The aliens/future robots existed and were "alive" because they were to some degree self-aware. To them, david was alive, because to an objective observer with no real humans to compare him to, he seems that way. he was self aware, he existed, he had memories, etc.

BTW, i thought it was a good movie, though the ending didnt seem to flow terribly well with the rest of the film...id just like to know FOR SURE what was changed from SK's original idea

15. jywv8 macrumors 6502

Egads

Oh for pete's sake, it's Kubrick, not Kuprick.

16. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

they were robots! why else would they be so thrilled to be able to probe David's memories of his mother? they wanted to know anything about their creators, who these robots had obviously never seen.

for the record, i loved AI. and i'm a huge Kubrick fan who doesn't generally enjoy speilberg films. yes, the ending was tacked on, but it worked for me :p

17. sketchy macrumors regular

a sequel???
    Gah -- I might have to shoot myself.. I was okay with the movie when it ended... (boy jumping off building into watery grave.) but noooooooooooooooooo...

What is it with american directors and happy endings. the second ending was lame. oh look -- the robot is all happy now.. (pow -- blasted me brains out).

shiver me timbers -- it's not over yet.

A third ending?. I was disallusioned by now and was wondering what speilberg was thinking.

=====

I would have been happy with the "sad" ending.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

John Williams did a great job with the music. My wife and I watched "AI" on DVD. Both of us enjoyed the film.

19. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

Ah, yes, but that makes me think even more that they are aliens. Remember, the robot WAS the only thing left in the end.

Regards,
    Gus

20. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

You seriously think that if we (as in aliens to other planets) landed on another planet that once had life would not want to learn everything about them? Heck, we even want to know what human culture was like before documentation, just imagine what a completely different race would bring.

P-Worm

21. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Re: ending of AI

She's right... sort of. We're robots now. Fox, MSNBC, ClearChannel, etc. spit out the crap, and we buy it. As a nation we have lost our ability to think, therefore we are robots.

22. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Definitely robots. Good conversation-starter about them being aliens though...but definitely robots.

23. vitruvius macrumors regular

24. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

As a matter of fact, it was not Kubrick's movie. He found the story, gave it to Spielberg, answered a few of Spielberg's questions, and told him something to the effect that he needed to bring the story to an end some how, something that Kubrick was self-admittedly unable to do. The only thing Spielberg did per Kubrick's specifications was include the piece of music that plays when the characters cross the bridge into the city (I don't recall the name of the piece) - that was the only thing Kubrick insisted be in the movie.

I really don't understand why people despise this movie so much. Had it ended where everyone "thought" it should end, it would have been terrible. Yeah, Kubrick would have ended it there, but Kubrick didn't direct the movie, now did he?

Spielberg took some of Kubrick's advice, but he wrote the script himself and (obviously) directed it himself. Kubrick was dead a full year before this movie went into production. He pays homage to Kubrick ocassionally, but it is ultimately his own movie.

I wrote an e-mail to my brother several months ago detailing why I feel the way I do about this movie. I'll post it if I find it. Let me end be reiterating:

A.I. IS STEVEN SPIELBERG'S BEST MOVIE.

25. simX macrumors 6502a

simX

I'm definitely with the people who said that A.I. was a great movie. Strange as it sounds, A.I. was one of the only movies that actually made me cry at the end.... and I rarely do that. The only other Hollywood movie that ever did that to me was Life Is Beautiful (and I only cried a little bit for that one). :p That movie would TOTALLY have SUCKED if it wasn't for the actual ending.

:shrug: Kinda strange, but true.