Endless messaging rots brain worse than pot, study finds

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by craigdawg, May 3, 2005.

1. craigdawg macrumors 6502

Whatever. Smoking dumb doesn't make me pot.
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2005/05/04/HP.TMP&type=tech

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Huh? I don't understand....

Sorry, gotta go reply to a bunch more MR posts.

I think...

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i saw that the other day and i found it to be quite funny, donno why though...

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

So, when in the midst of answering a call or email, a worker's "functioning IQ" isn't as high. Wow. Shocker.

I could, from experience, then argue that having a baby around lowers your IQ far more than pot, emails, cell phones, or possibly strokes.

Very misleading report, I think.

And, BTW, I've found that people answer emails and/or phones during meetings because the meetings tend to lower "functioning IQ" far more than any call ever could.

5. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

What if you message AND smoke....... ah nevermind ;)

6. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

Off topic but can you beleive that I had a meeting to actually schedule a meeting!? WTF!?

My supervisors must text constantly. :eek:

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

actually i run into this a lot (the messaging, the pot is fine). People at my office, myself included, get frazzled when they can't focus on a single task, instead answering a phone call ever 5 minutes, or answering an email, all on unrelated projects... I've been encouraging my team to take 1 hour a day, shut down Lotus, forward calls to voicemail, and see what a difference it makes. Anyone else working in offices, I suggest the same...

8. Lau Guest

Actually, my boyfriend works at a university where the network and support is so terrible that the email goes down quite a lot. A while ago it went down for a couple of days, and everyone got loads done and went to see people rather than email them. So when it came back he decided he would set his email to check every hour rather than every minute. Unfortunately that lasted about a week. Oh well.

I reckon that's a great idea to get your whole team to do that.

9. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Interesting discussion.
    Multi-tasking is a brain drain. Pilots have to be trained to do this well, and it is wild to watch a simulator session, or listen to recordings of real cockpit emergencies.
    As the work load increases more and more things get missed, often alarms are sounding loudly and you stop hearing them, the instructor or other pilot MIGHT remind you to silence it because it is really bogging you thought process down. We often call it "your brain going to ground", ground like an electrical ground. The seat becomes your "ground" and you can just freeze up if you are not used to it.
    The Navy was very big on multi-tasking training. The amount of processing power used to fly fast, low, against people firing at you, and you setting up for your attack at the same time is-to say the least-very "brain" demanding. Add a hangover or alcohol or drugs and pilots become "dumb" or in my case "dumber" very quick.

10. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

That seems a very good arguement for having only women pilots.

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

?? Because women never drink or use drugs?

12. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

No, because as I'm sure you've noticed women generally can multitask much better than men.(maybe you don't have enough contact with women to have noticed)
    :p

13. StarbucksSam macrumors 65816

StarbucksSam

Interestingly enough, I have been Instant Messaging for ten years, and I've found that I have actually become smarter because of it. I know that sounds ridiculous, but I have learned a lot about the social dynamics of being protected behind a computer screen. On IM, I type the way I type in these IM's, but sometimes I let caps or typos go. In general though, I stay away from "lyk omg r u goin 2 hu w her!11?!/!/!//?11".

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I've had enough contact with women to know they think they can multi-task better than men. ;)

15. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Well its very noticeable to me as I can concentrate very well on one thing but give me more to do I lose it totally,most women I see can converse,cook dinner,look after children and fart at the same time.

16. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I recommended a girl in my last squadron to be an instructor pilot, and I presently am a Corp Captain, my co pilot is a girl who has not as yet been able to upgrade to captain.

Women are not better OR worse in the cockpit as men, I have found them to be both better and worse depending on the individual. Many are a 1000 times better than I will ever be, and many are accidents waiting to happen, just like the men.

17. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    It just had to be said:

I hope I didn't brain my damage. :p

18. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

[sarcasm]
    Imagine using IM while stoned in a Wendy's Drive-Thru late at night. You could kill TONS of little black girls on bikes. :)

[/sarcasm]

19. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

ahahaha that's great... chapelle's show should do a skit :)

20. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Were did that come from?

I don't find that comment funny at all.

21. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I only check my messages once a day and respond if necessary. It would still seem that active use of the mind and hands would be better than sitting and watching TV. An active mind is very important. It is needed to post on MacRumors.

22. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I find i hilarious that THAT IS one of THE anti-drug commercial that our wonderful country has developed.

Ever seen it? It's not funny but HORRIBLY funny at the same time.

23. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

OT: I hear Chapelle's show has been "suspended" for the time being, with no real reason why. Another great one in limbo.

Olbermann on Countdown mentioned it--was saying how surreal it is that some crappy shows stay on the air....and great ones go to the dogs.

24. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

At least Family Guy was brought back!

25. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef