Endless re-indexing

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Archduk3, Sep 25, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Feb 7, 2012
    So I love using onyx for cleaning my MBP. And recently I ran it just after updating to 10.7.5

It restarted and the usual re-indexing started of spotlight. It started on 1 hour, then 2, then 10, then 17 and now 4 days.

And progress bar does not move an inch.

I have tried shutting it off and then on again through system preferences. I have tried running onyx again. And then maintenance. Then I tried using repairing disk permissions, and no issue.

What is wrong? :O

2. macrumors P6

Jan 23, 2005
    Try going into Spotlight prefs and drag Macintosh HD into the exclude pane. Wait a minute. Then drag it back out. That should delete the index and start a fresh index.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 7, 2012
    I have, which my first post suggest :)
  4. macrumors 68030

Dec 18, 2007
    NY State of mind
    From the "time machine w/10.7.5" thread - sounds like it may be applicable here:

It's a known spotlight issue. https://discussions.apple.com/message/19667005#19667005

If you disable Spotlight using the following command from within Terminal, Time Machine backups return to normal speed;

sudo launchctl unload -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist

Once this has been resolved, you'll be able to re-enable Spotlight with the following command;

sudo launchctl load -w /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.metadata.mds.plist
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 7, 2012
    So we are yet to wait for a real fix for this?