EndNote 8 and Word 2004 for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by inlimbo, Mar 15, 2005.

1. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Jan 29, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I have read that there are a few problems with EndNote v8 for Mac. Has anyone had problems with it? I need EndNote because im am writing a 100 page (20,000 word) thesis for my Undergraduate Honours.

My university's library website states:
    Endnote 8 for Mac OSX 10.2 or later Problems with EndNote 8 for Macs, such as frequent crashes and some missing functionality, are being reported by EndNote users on the EndNote Interest mailing list.

I checked out the mailing list and most of the problems seem to be related to other versions of OS X and Office.

Further, EndNote 7 is not compatible with Office 2004, though there is a work around (http://www.library.usyd.edu.au/databases/endnote/new/faq/mac7_8.html) but it requires Word X which I don't have!
    Endnote 7 for Mac OSX 10.2+
    (not officially compatible with Office 2004 for MacOSX)

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. brap macrumors 68000

May 10, 2004
    How curious. I've used EndNote 8 with Word 2004 without problem.

Well, I say without problem, it's... ugh, shudder, nasty, but it hasn't crashed yet.
  3. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Jun 18, 2004
    I had EndNote 7 & Word X, which was ok. I too have heard negative comments regarding EndNote 8 and Word 2004. You should check out versiontracker to see some of the responses there.

I have held off on purchasing EndNote 8 because of the comments, and I am currently trying BookEnds as a bibliography manager (available as free trial), and so far it is working well. You might want to trial it and EndNote before buying.
  4. nerdykarim macrumors member

Feb 14, 2005
    atlanta, ga
    endnote 8 has never crashed on me, either. it just seems to be a little less integrated with mac versions of office than pc versions, though. on the other hand, though, that could just be because i'm not quite used to the mac (i've been a switcher for about 2 weeks and i've only used endnote like 4 times)
  5. inlimbo thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 29, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    U have to pay for it!?!? My university gives it to you for free. Well not totally free Im going to have to waste 120MB of my bandwidth to dl it. Usually my university tries to get as much cash out of u as they can - EndNote seems to be the acception. You can also trial EndNote 8 here http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/productivity_tools/endnote.html

Whats bookends like? Maybe I should use that instead. I need to be able to export listings from Online databases such as Business Source Premier and LexisNexus to Bookends. Can it do that?