Endnote

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kretzy, Mar 8, 2006.

1. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

I've just started at Uni, so atm we're having the whole referencing thing drummed into our heads. It's been recommended that we look into getting a program like Endnote to help with referencing. That sounded like a good idea until I discovered how much it cost! Have people had much experience with this software, is it worth it? Are there any other alternatives or am I just better off using Word or Pages and doing them my self?

Thanks for any advice. :)

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

All my users use it here, they are all researchers and swear by it. There are alternatives (whose names escape me, ATM) but I don't think they are Mac-friendly. End Note makes it very easy for them to find/create references, store them in a library, and create the referenced links/bibliography within your document.

3. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

Bookends is another option for the Mac (which I use and like).

Check-out some of the feedback on version-tracker, there have been a few complaints regarding the newer versions of EndNote.

4. jdechko macrumors 68040

This may or may not be helpful, but does your uni have a campus-wide license for Endnote. I know that at Georgia Tech we could download it for free from the IT office along with some other great software (Zone Alarm Pro, Virus Scan, and Eudora Pro among other things). Also, I know it would still be expensive, but look into a student license for it (if available there), as it would probably save you some serious cash.

5. St Soichiro macrumors regular

Bookends all the way. Used Endnote for several years before switching. Bookends is cheaper, offers free upgrades and has tremendous support, plus it is Mac friendly. You can share files with Endnote users by importing/exporting references.

Get a bibliographic software rather than entering into Word manually. Finally, most reference databases allow records to be marked and imported directly into such software making the whole referencing thing much easier. And this comes from a university professor!!

You can download a fully functional, unlimited time version of Bookends (restricted to 50 entries) and see if you like it before purchasing.

If you want to do things for free - go the LaTeX, BibTeX route. I started using it 4 months ago and am almost Word free.

6. mchendricks macrumors member

Endnote

Have you checked with your school's library? At UCF, we have a site license for it. We can download it for free on both Mac and Windows.

It can be a great help when writing papers with lots of references.

Mike

BTW, max attitude, I'm in Melbourne as well except I'm in Melbourne, Florida.

7. kretzy thread starter macrumors 604

kretzy

Thanks for all the advice guys! :)

I'm going to check whether there's a school license for it. Failing that, I think I'll look into getting Bookends - it seems a bit more affordable, with good reviews.

That's why I always specify Melb. Australia - people have thought I'm from the US. :)