Endurance challenge enthusiasts?

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Mar 13, 2004.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

I've had this itch for a very long time. So I'm wondering if anyone else out there may have this (unhealthy?) desire.
    I love extreme sports and get off watching people push themselves to the limit.
    There are two things that I want to do before I die or get too old and decrepit to do.
    I want to climb a BFM (Big F*cking Mountain). Ideally, K2. I've read that it's the most dangerous and Everest is losing its stature anyway even though it's the tallest.
    Or I'd love to race in the Baja 1000. I've heard incredible stories of hero drivers in this race. Like men on dirt bikes travelling 700 miles over brutal terrain before taking a break. I've read that a Japanese racer on a dirt-bike raced with a broken leg and a concussion - result of a nasty spill - to the next check point which was like 200 miles away before the next rider took over. He got off the bike and passed out cold. Incredible.
    Drivers jerry-rigging their vehicles any way that they can just to finish. Battered vehicles and drivers limping to the finish line.
    You hear a lot of people getting hurt real bad too. It's all about will and endurance. Can you take it? Or are you a lameass? IMO it makes NASCAR look like it's for wimps and wusses. And it hardly gets any media coverage, that's what pains me.
    I really want to do something COOL as sh*t like this before I take the old dirt nap.
    Anyone else feel this way or am I the only one?

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I think your insane.

All of those things sound like torture to me. I'll stick to what I do best, filling up chair space. :rolleyes: ;)

scem0

3. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Last year, I was seriously considering entering a triathlon (Clydesdale division). Unfortunately, I thought about it too late in the season, and this year, I'm back in school, so I don't think it will happen this year. But I frequently think about it, so maybe in a year or two...

4. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

"You are insane."
    That's the reaction I get most of the time when I tell people this. Yeah, it is insane in some ways.
    I think going to an office job shuffling paperwork under flourescent lights all day is insane. So go figure.
    Actually, I would go insane if I did that. :p

5. russed macrumors 68000

russed

your mad! i couldnt even run a 100m! well only if i have to, not for fun!

6. russed macrumors 68000

russed

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

sorry to hear you're leaving.

8. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

:D :D :D :D Maybe he should change his name to Elvis. :p