Energy Saver Is M.i.a.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by GITANAJAVA, Feb 3, 2006.

1. GITANAJAVA macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Earlier this week, my barely 1-year-old iBook G4 (ver. 10.3.9) had some power issues: the halo on the adapter displayed green (battery fully charged) when it should have shown orange (battery charging). Even left charging overnight, the battery charge never went over 30%, the date/time had to be re-set several times, AND the Energy Saver has vanished (only the icon remains as shown in Sys Pref). When I click on the icon, it says it's loading.....but it never displays. I know I've used it before -- I clearly remember setting the preferences when I first bought my iBook.

Per the Genius Bar at an Apple Store, here are the instructions that solved MOST of these issues: do an Archive and Install, electing to save User Preferences, etc.; update software to current standards, and replace the battery via Apple's Battery Replacement Program. (Although I hadn't experienced any "hot battery" problems, it turned out mine was one of those that might cause overheating and power problems.)

However, Energy Saver is still Missing In Action so I can't check or change its settings; I'm not savvy enough to review the directory listing to know which files are which. When I double-clicked on "EnergySaver pref pane", the message asked "what application do you want to open this?"

How can I resurrect Energy Saver? :)

Thanks!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So you reinstalled OSX and you still don't have access to the Energy Saver settings? That file you mentioned (EnergySaver.prefpane), was it in a folder named PreferencePanes within your System's Library? :)

3. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Re: Energy Saver M.i.a.

In the directory, it tracks back through the Library, two Previous Systems folders (from earlier "Archive & Install" operations) and ultimately to the HD.

When I've double-clicked the ES pref line in the directory, I get a message along the lines of "what application would you like to open this in?" -- a question I generally avoid because I'VE NEVER KNOWN how to answer it. If stuff doesn't open itself or have specific blow-by-blow instructions, I'm nervous about self-detonating :-o

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You're not wanting to open it directly but maybe try moving it to your current System folder in the equivalent location (System - Library - PreferencePanes). :)

5. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Dear MJ,

Your advice sounds solid, but how does one accomplish what you are recommending? Having tracked your sensible (and easy to understand!!) advice for the last hour, I know you either have a link to guide me or not-too-complex guidance ;-)

U R GR8!

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, no link or guide. :eek:

What I'm saying is that for one reason or another, the file doesn't seem to be in it's proper location. The file you found in the Previous System Folder should be in your current System Folder as well.

I guess step one is to drag the EnergySaver.prefpane file from the Previous System Folder's Preference Pane folder to the Desktop to save confusion. Once it's there, open a new Finder window, click on the hard drive on the left (should be the name of your computer), then open System, then Library, then Preference Panes. If there isn't a file named EnergySaver.prefpane in this folder, then drag the one from the Desktop into here and restart. :)

7. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

MJ,

Thank you for the clarification. Never underestimate your prowess as guide.

Have tiff'd your instructions so I can experiment tomorrow. When I do, I'll note the results. Your time and wisdom is much appreciated!

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No problems. Good luck with it all. :)

Awesome username by the way. :cool:

9. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Re: Energy Saver Is M.i.a.

MJ,

Choukrane! (Arabic for 'Ta)

"Gitanajava" is the name of my business. It is also the nickname friends have for me. Loosely translated, it means "gypsy girl loves coffee". Truth indeed :-O

Back tomorrow with the outcome....

10. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Re: Energy Saver is Missing In Action

MJ et al.,

Did as you explained (after the big cleanup) with one glitch: directory shows the EnergySaver.prefpane in the current system folder, as well as both of the Previous System folders, but none of them will open. Still can't check or change my energy settings from whatever I originally set them at a year ago. (@-@)

Ideas, NE1?

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, sorry, I didn't realise there was already a version in your current System Folder. :eek:

Maybe try dragging com.apple.systempreferences.plist and com.apple.systempreferences.XXX.plist to the Desktop where XXX is a bunch of seemingly random numbers. :)

12. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

No worries, I didn't either until I explored it more thoroughly. Back in a few mins with feedback.....

13. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Re: EnergySaver is MIA

Here's what I found [screenshot of directory search attached]. MJ, perhaps a stick-figure diagram for the next step? ;-)

Attached Files:

14. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

:D

Just the top two. With System Preferences closed, open their folders and then drag the files to the Desktop, remembering which file comes from where. Then, reopen System Preferences and check Energy Saver. If it doesn't work, then put these files back where they came from, replacing the newly created default versions, to maintain your personalised preferences. :)

15. GITANAJAVA thread starter macrumors regular

GITANAJAVA

Re: Energysaver Is Mia

Understood, captain! When I've had a full dose of espressos, I'll tackle this latest step and drop by with the results. Late Wed/early Th, barring a better offer.

BTW, wandered through a .dmg discussion elsewhere in MR. Several people, including you, have succeeded where an entire Apple Genius Bar failed: I finally grasp the concept of disk images. (I still wince, tho.)

Ah, life is good!