Engadget: Blackberry Z10 vs. iPhone 5 vs. Nexus 4 vs. Nokia Lumia 920. FIGHT!

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by EbookReader, Jan 31, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/30/blackberry-z10-iphone-5-nexus-4-lumia-920/

can't make the chart look "readable" in the forum so you have to click on the link if you want to see the FIGHT specs between the "flagships" of each operating system.

2. macrumors 6502a

Seems like the nexus 4 is the winner. Or the iphone if you are willing to pay a premium for design and LTE

3. macrumors demi-god

Gav2k

Specs mean nothing! If each of the devices ran the same o/s then it has weight.

4. macrumors 68040

Wicked1

iPhone 5 Wins all the other lose

5. macrumors 6502

All very capable phones, although for me the iPhone and the iOS wins. Blackberry was my first smartphone way back when, then I moved on to Android all the while I had serious iPhone envy, because it looked great and ran like butter, still does. Finally the iPhone came to Verizon and the rest is history.

I dont see myself switching at all, unless something just totally blows it away, which I believe will be impossible because all the others are imitators.

6. macrumors 68000

First of all specs truly dont mean anything because the i5's performance is truly still top notch compared to the S4 Pro quad core processor at 1.6ghz per core. It all comes down to software optimization and i think iOS is better with that.

Theres no reason why you should get checkerboard effect in the browser on a S4 pro cpu espcially with Jelly Bean. That right there is dumb

7. macrumors 6502a

Stuntman06

Z10 beats the rest in pixel density.

8. macrumors 6502a

So surprising how the iPhone 5 has the lowest PPI of the 4!

9. thread starter macrumors 65816

Anyone surprised that LG is now selling more Nexus 4 than its flagship LG Optimus G? (the phone that the Nexus 4 is based on)?

10. macrumors 6502a

Where is the evidence?

11. EbookReader, Jan 31, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2013

thread starter macrumors 65816

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/20/lg-optimus-g-sales/
    LG Optimus G sales hit 1 million worldwide (January 20th 2013)

as for the Nexus 4, it is over 970,000 produced now (at a rate of 20,000+ per day).
    And Google is ordering a lot more since some countries are already sold out

http://www.zdnet.com/nexus-4-back-o...in-france-while-uk-australia-wait-7000010620/
    Nexus 4 back on sale - but sold out in Spain, France, while UK, Australia wait

970,000 isn't greater than 1,000,000 BUT one is in great demand (Nexus 4) and one isn't (LG Optimus G). It's just a matter of days before LG produced and shipped more Nexus 4 than the LG Optimus G.

12. thread starter macrumors 65816

just a thought, but could Microsoft use Google Nexus 4 strategy?

Partner with OEM like Nokia or LG or HTC or Samsung.
    Make Microsoft version of Nexus 4. Sell it at very low margin at their online store and at Microsoft stores.

Like Google, Microsoft won't make a lot of money from this but likely gain market share.

13. macrumors 68040

Considering Microsoft is trying to sell their Surface tablet for $500 in direct competition as the $500 iPad 4. The answer is no.

Google and to a certain extent Samsung recognize they cannot sell products the same price as Apple if they expect to sell their products.

14. thread starter macrumors 65816

Wait until Amazon gets into the smartphone game....

MS needs to do something if it want to gain market share.

15. macrumors 68040

There are a couple of ways to think about this:
    1. Sell surface tablet at same price as iPad
    2. Discount the Surface tablet by $100 and sell at $399.

Microsoft is screwed both ways.

If it follows (1) it can't sell many units
    If it follows (2), it's profit margins are eroded and the Surface Tablet is forever branded a "value" tablet hurting future margins

16. macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

MS doesn't need to sell a ton of units or make a ton of profit though. All it needs is to get people to consider Win 8 as a platform. Whether they buy the Surface or an OEM, MS still wins. The real value of the Surface is as a Win 8 branding tool

17. Guest

You mean the Nexus 4 has the lowest PPI of the 4. ;)

18. macrumors 68040

Maybe that's their business strategy. But it's a very bad one at that.

The public doesn't understand what the Surface is. They see these commercials. But still do not understand it. So they are trying to push a $500 tablet or at least introduce a $500 tablet to introduce Windows 8? But they have done a horrible job explaining Surface to the public.

It's like they try to trick people to believing the Surface (RT) $500 Tablet runs real windows programs which it doesn't. And there aren't many many apps to compensate for not being able to run windows 8.

I have yet to see anyone with a Surface tablet.

Everyone is waiting to see how the real Surface Pro tablet does. But pricing of the Surface Pro with the keyboard (64GB with 23GB free space) is over $1000 already. You are already in 11.6 inch MacBook air category. And it's not like the Surface pro is super light as a tablet. It's 2 pounds already. Most ultrabooks are 2.5-3 pounds these days. Battery life is like 4.5 hours? So they got pricing issues and battery issues with the Surface Pro. Not a good combination.

As with any "new" Microsoft Product, I usually wait for the 3rd revision before thinking of buying one..

19. macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Their business strategy is fine. If I had to question a company's business strategy, I'd question what Google is doing with Android. Including their Motorola purchase, they have yet to make any $$$ off Android despite it having dominant market share. The way MS monetizes, they could have a fraction of the pie Google has and you'll still never see them in the red like that

MS marketing is fail, that's a given

Far as the Surface, the RT is a dumb product but the Pro is a disruptive game changer. This is why Apple is reacting by throwing storage at consumers before its release. Watch what happens this year