Engadget reviews the new Touch!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rbf1138, Sep 7, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

2. macrumors 6502

The listed a 16GB model for $229, is that just a typo?

3. macrumors member

kcjohn

Thanks for the post

Great review, goes great with a glass of Apple Kool-aid.[​IMG]

4. macrumors member

told you the screen isnt IPS.wonderful device nonetheless,and the video capture looks great.cant wait!

5. macrumors member

... if not, I am saving $70 tomorrow morning. :p

Camera: As expected

Screen: As expected

Everything else: As expected

6. macrumors 6502

i am not happy if the speaker is no good, i have the 1g and i hate having to always use the headphones when just listening to a podcast or a quick video clip, i don't want to have to get my headphones every time. one of the big reasons for me to upgrade is an external speaker

7. macrumors 65816

tablo13

The camera looks just decent, but with grains :(

8. macrumors regular

After reading the review, I feel like i want to cancel the Pre-order. I feel i got tricked into Apples hype!

9. macrumors regular

What were you expecting? Just curious.

10. macrumors newbie

How can you consider the camera stills decent? It looks like crap. All those people talking about how low pixel count doesn't equal bad image quality just feast your eyes on the pictures in this review. This is what we get after all this hype about a camera. I wouldn't be bitching if the cost stayed the same, but it didn't, it went up $50 bucks from last gen. 8Gb used to be $200 here in Canada now it's $250, so disappointed.

11. macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

How exactly did you get "tricked"? :rolleyes:

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

I think you're confusing the pixel count of the ipod display, and the quality of the pictures taken by the ipod camera...

13. macrumors regular

Better Camera and GPS!

14. macrumors regular

Uh, did you not watch the keynote on Sept. 1? Apple also has the feature/spec list up on their site. Nowhere did they mention a GPS chip or a high quality camera...

15. macrumors member

Well, for good photos I have my camera, :p, ipod camera are for "facebook pics", the HD video recording will be awesome for youtube :)

16. macrumors newbie

I was talking about the shockingly low 0.7MP pixel count of the rear camera. People were defending it saying low MP's doesn't mean low qulaity, obiviously they were wrong.

17. macrumors regular

I did, Jobs said it's an iPhone with out contract!

18. macrumors regular

There's a reason there are differences between the iPhone and iPod touch. If you want an iPhone without the contract, you can go into the Apple Store and pay $600 for a contract free iPhone.

19. macrumors newbie

I think the camera is put in there mainly for the ability to take video, and it does it pretty well! It's just as good as the FlipHD, which is a $200 device by itself.

20. macrumors regular

Yea, thats true. If they make the same as iphone, then no one will buy iphone. Wish the new touch screen is IPS.

21. macrumors regular

The only thing that might disappoint me a bit is if we find out that the RAM isn't 512mb.

22. macrumors 68020

Beric

After this review, I'm wondering if it's really time to upgrade from my 3G. I'm dying for a high-res display. But next-year's will surely get a good camera, IPS display, GPS, and double the memory for the price point.

23. macrumors 68020

That 8G isn't the "last gen," but "last last gen," as it was just the 2nd gen iPod with inferior parts. So if anything, $250 is a bargain for something that has so much more: a much faster CPU, more RAM, cameras, better screen, etc, etc.

The camera quality is disappointing but as soon as we saw it couldn't do AF we should've known that was going to happen. On the good side the movie looks pretty good.

24. macrumors 6502

On axis with the brightness settings at least seemingly close, the display looks every bit as good as the iPhone4's. A/Bing the same icons, I can't reliably tell a difference of any sort.

[​IMG]

Off-axis on the long dimension obviously looks worse, but it's not a TV.

I am pleasantly surprised by the video taking performance. Almost makes me wish I got the 64GB! I'll keep my old chunky Sony point and shoot with a real lens and flash for stills, but this blows its VGA video taking far out of the water.

Lousy review though. Could it have been more cursory? Engadget wanted to be first to press and it shows.

25. macrumors regular

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.