England Convicted of Abusing Iraqis at Abu Ghraib Prison

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Sep 26, 2005.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

does anyone here believe that those soldiers were really acting on their own? i sure don't. i believe they were given specific orders and then hung out to dry once the scandal broke. way to support our troops.

btw, i don't excuse the soldiers' actions. they should have known it was wrong.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I just didnt know Privates ran the place??? Pretty amazing a private in charge? where was everyone else on smoke break? making bacon? Its almost like hey everyone lets blame her! yeah yeah she was in charge. she forced that rank on us.............

3. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

It's good to see her pay for her stupidity but unfortunately those who at the very least, "overlooked" her indiscretions are getting off scot free. It's even more pathetic that the mindset allowing such behaviour hasn't changed at all.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I have to find it disconcerting that coincidentally the same techniques were consistently thought up by 'a few bad apples' thousands and thousands of miles apart.

5. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Always reassuring to know that some things rarely change, such as the ability of the major power brokers to retain their Teflon finish. Whenever I associate a name with the tacit approval to use torture and other demeaning treatment on prisoners, Dick Cheney always comes to mind. I know ... how jaded of me.

6. Zaid macrumors 6502

To quote 'a comic view of the last 7 days',
    "the first trial in histrory where the defendent is uglier than the evidence"

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

am i the only one that finds lynndie england ridiculously sexy?

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Im afraid so. :cool:

9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

She doesn't do it for me unless she's holding that leash. Meeow, baby!

10. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

he gets me!!! what about the whole pointing to my inadequate genetalia bit??? that's so... hot.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I get instant wood when I think of the electrodes.

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

time for a change of shorts. thanks

13. diamond geezer macrumors regular

At least with a woody, you'll be well insulated.

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

England and Brown should both be nominated Scapegoats of the Year (2005).

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

She was following orders, plain and simple. PFCs don't make the orders, they follow them. The Secretary of Defense should be put in jail for it, since he had to approve of such things. I'm sure he just said "Do whatever it takes." and since he has no clue as to how the military works (not having served), he had no idea what they would do.

She shouldn't pay for doing what she was told to do.

16. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i agree and i disagree. was she a scapegoat for higher ups? yes. but she should still be punished in some fashion. that said, easier said than done to think i wouldn't have obeyed orders had i been told to strip prisoners naked, stack them in a pile, put womens' underwear on them, sic dogs on them, point at them in mockery for photos, etc... but who knows til i've been in that situation!

17. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I'm glad that she's been convicted.

The fact is, you are either a sick individual who gets off on doing s*** like this to people, or you aren't. You always have a choice, PFC or not. I'm pretty sure you won't be reported for not obeying an illegal order.

I hope that someday the higher ups of the prisons will have to answer for the whole ordeal. I won't hold my breath, though.

Sick f***s.

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They would have put her in the stockade so quickly her eyes would bulge, if she hadn't obeyed. Military Intelligence might even have put together some evidence that would have cast a horrible light on her, even for civilian life.

19. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

I agree others should go to jail too, but she got off VERY lightly.
    She should get at least 10 years and add 5 extra years for her superiors for each step of the hierarchy all the way to rummie.
    If the reverse had happened (americans been tortured), people here would be clamoring for several death penalties to be served successively, or nukein' the entire middle east

20. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

21. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

So true, you would think that she was in charge of the place as a PFC! Im sure she was following orders from someone? About the opposite of what the Navy does. They hang the Capt! Army should be no better. :eek:

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, the two who have been in charge of the place have gotten hell for it already. Who's spoken up against Military Intelligence? They're the people in charge of that operation. They always get away with whatever they want, just like the FBI and the CIA.