England Rejects Torture

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Thanatoast, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

England rejects
    US responds: "So?"

Well, hopefully this is the first of many countries to reject torture wholly and without reservation. Also, if they can actively thwart Bushco from renditioning suspects, by denying airspace rights and such, all the better.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

3. Thanatoast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

link

Sorry, forgot it. Here's another related story from the Times
    Wow. So now we see the consequences of using information gathered by such methods. Only three more years...(and x billion more dollars, and x score more lives, and...)

4. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

The article doesn't point out that Craig Murray (the former Ambassador to Uzbekistan) was suspended and drummed out of the Civil Service for alleging that the Uzbeks tortured people and giving the "intelligence" to SIS. It might now be illegal but will the Government do anything about it? I doubt it, given their track record. Charles Clarke's comment about it "not changing anything on the war on terror" doesn't give me any hope.

5. Thanatoast thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

But the US obviously doesn't

A rash of stories recently. I still am impressed by the "left hand/right hand" statements, like the press agent in the story saying "we are not at war, therefore these are not prisoners of war and have no rights" while Bushco is constantly harping on the fact that we're at war and therefore need extraordinary powers in order to "win".

Of course, regardless of the legal tap-dancing, the argument for indefinitely holding and torturing suspects is BS anyway.