England Win The Commonwealth Bank Series

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by ®îçhå®?, Feb 11, 2007.

1. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    Here is the story on it. England are back to winning ways. A good performance all round and Dalrymple's catch is something to behold.

Shows that going into the World Cup, Australia can be beaten even by a team that is just stating to come up after a serious low point.
  2. BoyBach macrumors 68040

Feb 24, 2006
    (I was hoping on watching the finale of today's game this morning whilst eating my eggs and toast. Bloody rain!)

It's a great result for England and should help remove some of the pressure from Duncan Fletcher. With players finding a bit of form and the probable return of Michael Vaughan, the World Cup now doesn't seem so daunting.

However, remove the last four England performances and does this victory make up for the otherwise terrible performances by this side during the tournament?

(And I won't even mention the Ashes.)
  3. pknz macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
  4. MacRy macrumors 68040

Apr 2, 2004
    Another great performance from England.........I can't get used to saying that without meaning it ironically :)
  5. cazlar macrumors 6502

Oct 2, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    As much as I loathe saying it, England did play well the last few games, while Australia seemed to be strangely lacking (unlike earlier in the series where they could do no wrong).

I must admit the stupid rain was my main issue with the last game though. While I sort of get how the whole D/L system works, I can't justify mentally the fact that at one stage the game was reduced by 17 overs, yet the target to get only dropped 34 runs or so. While the reduced time does make it somewhat easier for the second team (so a reduction at the ~5 runs/over rate is maybe a bit excessive) how can they reduce it by only ~2 runs/over???
  6. ®îçhå®? thread starter macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    As Beefy and Aggers were suggesting though, Australia probably did peak a little too early. Loosing 3 times to England and New Zealand came so very clos just shows that they did get tired by the end of it and there game did start to faulter.

7 weeks in the World Cup might be too much. There are many pointless games with no disrespect to the countries involved but Scotland, Canada etc really are quite poor at cricket and their inclusion is a bit of a joke. I see that they want to get more countries involved but they are just going to get slaughtered and it is going to be a waste of time and energy
  7. Spaceman Spiff macrumors regular

Oct 9, 2003
    We have a cricket team? What?!?

I was not informed. Not that I'd care. It's just surprising.
  8. ®îçhå®? thread starter macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    Yep and they are taking part in the World Cup. You see, the residents dont know that they have a cricket team and almost certainly wont follow the world cup so what is the point??
  9. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
    Oh the shame of it. :eek:

(And I don't even like cricket!)