English Smoking Ban

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by russed, Feb 15, 2006.

1. russed macrumors 68000

russed

Well, i feel like opening a can of worms so here is a good opportunity - MP's in the UK last night passed a bill to stop smoking in all public places by next summer - and i say - about bloody time.

i have had enough of coming home reaking of smoke so you smokers can suffer for a while!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4714992.stm

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Considering the social and economic costs of smoking, I can see most governments eventually headed in this direction.

3. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

Fantastic! I wish they ban smoking in cars as well! People that drive and smoke at the same time put other lives at risk! I have had some near collisions with people that pull out without looking because they are too busy killing themselves.

I'm sorry the whole point of the ban is for people who do not smoke! If we want to be healthy why should we be dragged down with the other smokers!

4. mpw Guest

A similar law was agreed here last year, they just have to agree a date to adopt it.

The only trouble with ours, and it could be the same for the UK, is that it isn't applied outdoors.

So now every Pub/resturant/cafe etc. has outside seating areas crammed full of people smoking which you're going to have to fight through to get inside.

It's not much of a victory when those who don't want to be sitting in smoke are forced indoors and the smokers get to enjoy sitting al fresco.:mad:

5. mpw Guest

Only if it's public transport, and it's been that way for a while I believe.

It's odd to remember when I used to check-in for flights and they didn't ask whether you'd packed your bag yourself just whether you wanted smoking or non-smoking seats and aisle or window!

6. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

i smoke , and i think that the ban is a very good idea!

been trying to give up for the past 2 years , maybe this will give me the final push

either way i'm being killed over the current price of fags and again when i smoke them

:(

7. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I'm glad that they were able to have a free vote on the subject and they didn't support the 'food pub' only ban which would have been particularly odd given that the other Govt departments are trying to get people to drink responsibly and make sure they eat while out.

I'm looking forward to the ban; having been out in pubs/bars in places where a ban was already in place, it was so much more pleasant. I was in a bar/restautant on Saturday night which didn't feel all that smoky but when I got home and was getting read for bed, my hair stank to high heaven. I rinsed it through before going to bed since it was so awful.

The indoor/outdoor thing might be awkward but let's hope we don't end up with a complete fug out there to fight our way through. It's not generally as bad outside anyhow so fingers crossed.

Speaking to a few of my colleagues who used to just smoke socially and now head outside during the working day for a few more, they're hoping that this will prove the incentive they need to give up.

8. toontra macrumors 6502

As an "avid" smoker till a few years ago, part of the reason I quit was the increasing disapproval of others (restaurants, bars, etc) and the ban on all forms of public transport - it just seemed like it was getting to be more hassle than it was worth. On that basis, I reckon this ban will encourage thousands to give up.

I have to say that I regret not having given up before. I'm far healthier now than at any point in my life. I now run daily and cycle thousands of miles per year.

Anything that "incentivises" people is a good idea - smoking is a waste of time and, unlike alcohol, doesn't have a single redeeming quality.

9. dcv macrumors G3

I was *so* pleased when I heard this on the news last night... I think Applespider pretty much sums it up, especially that stinking hair & clothes syndrome.

As for outdoor smoking... well at least it's a little more 'diluted' than being indoors and not being able to breathe.

Ahhh "social smoker"... such an oxymoron... :rolleyes:

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I really don't have much to say on the matter, other than GOOD!!!! :D

11. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

About time too.

Scotland already passed a smoking ban - comes in affect very soon, and Wales is pending ( having agreed a ban too ... )

Once again, england was left lagging with an unworkable, and farcicle comprise... No surprise there.

Ironic thing - house of commons - smoking still allowed ( its exempt - but still ).

There has been a smoking ban in Ontario, and it is absolutely fanastic. I've been in pubs / bars that I wouldn't do otherwise because of excess smoke previously.

The non smelly clothes and hair in the morning is just great. Of course, they'll be smokers who insist on 'smokers rights' and posioning non smokers.. but the fact is, there are more non smokers than smokers..

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I can picture it now: small knots of pathetic British smokers, huddled against buildings in the rain, getting in their final desperate puffs before being allowed to rejoin their fellow human beings indoors. It'll look so much like -- the United States!

Really, it's about time.

13. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

chicago recently passed its own smoking ban, but it's being rolled in slowly. it took effect in food-only restaurants immediately, but bars have another 2 1/2 years to make it so.

interesting how the english are able to make it effective much more quickly. kudos to them.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ah- soon the rest of the world will be just like the US on this. I wonder though if health is really the motivating factor behind this. My experience in the US so far has been that smoking is merely something most people find distasteful. I think if people were really worried about air quality, they'd be pushing to ban SUVs and cars or at least push to find clean fuel sources.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/medical_notes/336738.stm

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Hardly... it's scheduled for Summer 07 - no exact date as yet. And the original plan was to do exactly the same as you - only bar it where food was served - but there was enough of an outcry from the backbenchers to extend it. Scotland's ban which comes into effect next month was passed over a year ago too.

Why? It's not like enforcing better air conditioning which would require time to cost and implement for bar owners. I'm not entirely sure why it can't come into effect quicker unless it will take the intervening period to get the backup legislation through and the administrative checkups in place.

16. Qoxiivi macrumors regular

Qoxiivi

This will save thousands of lives. A great decision and long overdue.

17. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

Smokers enjoy making the "ban all cars" argument, which is quite stupid.

Cars, unlike smoking are productive ( overall ), economies would slump without cars, and so on. However, smoking - that isn't productive. The majority of people do not smoke and therefore shouldn't be poisoned by the minority. They can smoke, just smoke outside. Smoking in enclosed areas is more like being in an enclosed garage with your car running.

There are pushes to find cleaner fuel, but until the world runs out of economical oil, this won't happen soon.

You can't really compare smoking to cars etc... one is a necessity,the other is not. I take your point though, SUVs are a waste of time. For the minority of people, they are more than useful.. but for the average Jo(e), overkill.

Another item that smokers love to bleed on about is - alochol should be banned too because that damages health. Well, not really, not in the same way. If I was to stand next to a T-totaller, having a pint ( of Stella, Keiths, Moose :p ), or whatever, I'm not going to poison him or her, just myself. Can't say the same about smoking. There are of course, a very tiny amount of people who get voilent, yes - but that is a very small minority. If your going to make this argument, then ban all English football fans from international matches... due to the 1% of 'fans' who go to these matches / tournment destinations to cause trouble.

18. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Point taken. However, individual car ownership is not a necessity. I haven't owned one in over 7 years. Public transportation suits me just fine.

My main point is this: if people went after SUV owners and pushed for clean fuel sources with the same vigilance they use to ban smoking, I bet you things would get done. Since they don't, it seems to me it's more a matter of distaste for the act.

FYI- if you stayed indoors with your car running, you be dead pretty quick. You can't use that as a comparison.

19. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

I suspect this will come. 20 years ago - who thought that smoking on public transport would be banned, let alone in public places?

People's attitude to 'vices' change over time. This happened with drink driving, is currently underway with speeding and may end up happening with people pushing for cleaner air sources. It's started... it just needs a few years to build up momentum

20. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I think it's great news and long overdue. We went over to Dublin a couple of years ago and it was wonderful going into a pub and not getting a lungfull of stale second-hand smoke.

I heard a phone-in on one of our local radio stations last night from a staunch lifelong smoker, upset about the ban and claiming that their wasn't a single shred of scientific evidence to say that smoking was detrimental to your health. His argument wasn't helped by the fact he was talking through an artificial voicebox, having had a lot of his throat surgically removed due to cancer... :rolleyes:

21. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

It depends where you live. Public transport is crap in the Sticks. The place where my parents ( in UK ) live is around 7 miles from the nearest town - they have 2 buses a day - one in the morning ( too late to be in work by 9am), and returns around 5 ( too early to leave from work). The village were they live has one very small shop. So, in their case, cars are very necessary. In my case, living in Toronto, I don't need a car.. public transport is good enough.

In cities or ( good sized town ) you should be able to get around fine using public transport.

It doesn't help that a lot of people are just lazy - using their car when they could walk to the destintation in 15 / 20 minutes ( assuming they able bodied, of course!!).

I absolutely agree with your main point, though.

22. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Really? That's unbelievable! :eek:

People are saying that "50% of the pubs and clubs will close down now!!", but the ban hasn't done damage like this in Ireland. Obviously!!! It is great that the ban is being put in place but 2007? :confused: I know they need to make relevant public places aware but over a year?!

A surprising amount of smokers are in favour of this as well which is great to see. :)

23. TMA macrumors 6502a

TMA

I think this decision to ban smoking in all licensed premises is a complete disgrace.

I also think it's a disturbing sign of things to come that this removal of freedom was voted in by such a majority of MP's.

To an earlier poster - The car argument is perfectly valid. A few irresponsible motorists use their people carriers (MPV's) for school runs and trips to local shops (instead of using public transport or going by foot) - unnecessarily spoiling our atmosphere. Just as an irresponsible smoker breathes smoke into someone else's vicinity.

You've also got to remember that massive efforts are made to reduce pollution from cars even when 50% of journeys are probably unnecessary. No such efforts are made to provide segregated, ventilated smoking rooms or areas for smokers.

You could take the tax made out of smokers and use this to double the number of pubs in the country - then make 50% of them no smoking. That sounds fair to me.

24. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

I cant believe the overwhelming support for this ban. I know smoking and 2nd hand smoke causes health issues, but why dont we ban car emissions, emissions from industrial plants, etc. before we ban smokers. To me that makes much more sense. These emissions cause health problems in people and destroy the environment at the same time. I am not trying to start a fight, just stating this smokers opinion.

[/rant from a smoker]

25. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

some of the US' smoking ban arguments framed the issue as that of workplace safety. apparently, smoking-related heath problems were higher among bar and restaurant non-smokers than non-smokers in general.

so in that regard, i think there is some consistency with, say, laws for work conditions such as industrial plants.