Engraving on the top of laptop?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Arielle, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Arielle macrumors member

Oct 2, 2003
    Columbia University
    Hey All-
    I understand that Apple has an additional service that you can order with your laptop, where they can engrave your message onto the top of it.
    I got an ugly scratch on my titanium G4 17" laptop recently, and what I am wondering is this:

Is it possible to ENGRAVE designs on my laptop using a light engraving tool myself? I won't take the risk til I get some good feedback.

2. kettle macrumors 65816

May 12, 2002
    England, Great Britain (Airstrip One)
    this sounds somewhat familiar...

It mostly depends on how good you are at spelling.
    Also, if it were titainium you may have a durability problem with the engraving tool. I think it's aluminium, so things should be more straight forward.

Dragging yer p.book behind your car although potentially good for disguising unsightly scratch marks, should probably not be included for consideration. A complex or overly intricate lettering design may subtract from the illuminated apple logo and is probably best avoided too. I could however suggest some more "choice" wording for the underside of your laptop.:) let me know if you need suggestions!
  3. Arielle thread starter macrumors member

Oct 2, 2003
    Columbia University
    I was thinking...

...more in terms of squiggly pretty leafy designs. But I want to know; will this harm the laptop/ make it more succeptible to harm?

4. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    it should harm the laptop, as long as you dont start engraving the screen...but i doubt anyone would do that. i am also thinking of modding my mac by engraving the area below the keyboard has anyone tried this?
  5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Jul 22, 2002
    Almere, The Netherlands
    Have you ever done engraving before? It is more tricky then it looks. There are people who do it as a hobby/living and can make every design for you. Here in the Netherlands you'll see them sometimes on carnivals and that sort of gatherings. Maybe a tattoo artist can help you, a nice tribal on it :D
  6. latergator116 macrumors 68000

Sep 30, 2003
    Providence, RI
    Im guessing it would be kind of privey to engrave an image on you lid. Don't be too afraid of scratches, you will probably get more!