enhancing isight picture? any advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vkapoormd, May 31, 2005.

1. vkapoormd macrumors member

so my dad and i each have an isight (he is using it on his 15 inch PB AL, 1.25 ghz, 1 gm RAM) and i am using it on my G5 desktop. We both have the latest versions of software, etc; i also have downloaded iGlasses to brighten things. the main problem i am having is that there is a moderate amount of pixelation of the image that i am seeing of him (and i think vice versa). for some reason, the demos in the apple store show much sharper well defined video quality. Now i realize that the Isight is not meant to be a super high quality camera, but i expected a little better. Needless to say, we are both running this on broadband internet. Just wondering if anyone has had similar experience, and if they have any luck enhancing things.

2. 40167 macrumors regular

Well the apple store runs it over lan, thus its going to run highest quality possible...

Your using broadband, and you have to remember the quality will only go as far as both your upload speeds... if your broadband is like 128kbps upload and 1.5mbps; then you really can't expect anywhere near the same quality as apple is doing over lan.

Now Apple does say on their website that you only need 100kbps; but thats the absolute minimum and I've never seen a non-pixilated video conference on that amount of bandwidth.

So my asumption is your connection simply isnt quick enough; possibly if you both use tiger (and the new compression) you would get better quality. (unless you mean latest versions of all software and that includes tiger; though generaly when ive been told latest version they only mean the specific software their working with) See http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/ichat/ for a comparison of the H.263 (pre tiger) and h.264 (tiger) images.

3. vkapoormd thread starter macrumors member

thanks; is there anyway to increase the upload speed on my internet service provider? or is it just set at whatever?

4. 40167 macrumors regular

That would be set by your provider, in some cases they have different speed plans with different per month charges... so you might look into that.

Personaly id probibly just leave it like it is (but im pretty much just used to video chatting with people on a 56k modem and yahoo messenger; since most my friends are still running dialup)

5. vkapoormd thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i think you are right; it's not worth the trouble-i did check with my ISP and they said i had the highest speed package with uploads up to 800 kbps (although that seems unlikely). Anyway, thanks....

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    iGlasses is pretty good but one of the other things that you can do is to actually increase the brightness of the room. Experimenting with a desk lamp being turned on etc can make a surprising difference to the level of detail that the iSight picks up.

The 'list' of improvements for 10.4.2 also includes aspects of iChat and bandwidth so things might also improve then.

7. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Also in Preferences, under the 'Video' tab make sure you have Bandwidth Limit set to None. I think this is the default setting anyway but it's worth checking out. I've also heard people mention changing the connection settings in Quicktime Preferences can also help.

8. j_maddison macrumors 6502a

j_maddison

Try doing an online bandwidth test to make sure your getting the banwidth your isp is selling you.

http://www.dslguide.org/ This site has a pretty good speed test tool. Also try doing a quick google search, just type in 'broadband speed test'. Run a few tests from a few different sites, and you should get a good indication of your bandwidth speeds.

I might have missed it, but you didnt say if you're running tiger or panther. I noticed a big improvement in the quality of the video in tiger. It was very noticable. Not sure if others have had such a dramatic improvement.

Jason

9. vkapoormd thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, i am running tiger; i never really tried it out much with panther as my dad just got his mac with his isight; i will try the bandwidth tests- thanks.

10. HGW macrumors member

this problem is not a problem as such. when you use isight your computer is encoding your video into H.264 and sending, a G4 processor is not able to do this as efficiant as a G5. so in short the picture your dad recieves will be better.

sounds crazy but

take screen shots with shift, apple, 3

11. vkapoormd thread starter macrumors member

that's good to know; he just ordered a G5 dual processor and plans to hook up his isight to that, so maybe when he gets his, the video that i receive will be of higher quality.