Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
Hard to say. The complaints on FaceBook have largely disappeared the last time I checked. I would say that after their initial catastrophes in terms of quality control, missed shipping dates, etc, the case I eventually received is the nicest one I have.

+1. I think they (and many others) had initial problems ramping up production and quality to meet the overwhelming demand for iPad 2 cases. They did the right thing though and sent much improved replacement cases to all their initial purchasers at no charge. I still continue to use the Enki Genius case with the Apple Smart Cover. I also have other cases that I use depending on the particular circumstances.

Vanessa17

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
Thank you very much for the replies, I am weighing up whether the cheap plastic *ahem imports are worth the trouble or paying around AU$40 for an Enki cover... There are quite a few brands available here - Belkin, Kensington, Ozaki and so on.

Can anyone recommend the Enki Clear or Smoke? Does the Smoke look quite black/ dark?

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Thank you very much for the replies, I am weighing up whether the cheap plastic *ahem imports are worth the trouble or paying around AU$40 for an Enki cover... There are quite a few brands available here - Belkin, Kensington, Ozaki and so on.

Can anyone recommend the Enki Clear or Smoke? Does the Smoke look quite black/ dark?

I have the clear version so I can't comment on the smoke version. I've had it on my iPad for several months with virtually no scratches. That's in stark contrast to the Speck brand that picked up lots and lots of scratches in a couple of months. Can't comment of course on Enki's shipping to Oz but the product itself is a good one.

P.S. I initially missed your reference to "AU" in your post. Anyone else who is similarly challenged in the reading department should understand that the AU to USD exchange rate is about .50 to $1.00

Last edited:

dqfayi

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
I have read your blog to get more details about this case, based on the images, it sounds a little hard to touch. I would like to show more attention to the soft case or aluminum case which giving me a smooth and soft feeling.

Vanessa17

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
I have the clear version so I can't comment on the smoke version. I've had it on my iPad for several months with virtually no scratches. That's in stark contrast to the Speck brand that picked up lots and lots of scratches in a couple of months. Can't comment of course on Enki's shipping to Oz but the product itself is a good one.

P.S. I initially missed your reference to "AU" in your post. Anyone else who is similarly challenged in the reading department should understand that the AU to USD exchange rate is about .50 to $1.00

Thanks for that tip about Speck, that was one of the other brands I was considering :(

I will definitely just be considering the clear version. I don't want something like rubber or slippery, is this cover firm? Do you think it would take any impact if bumped without actually cracking etc?

On a side note, our Aussie dollar has just gone back up to parity, about $1.01 US we are buying now - great for us to shop online :D

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
I will definitely just be considering the clear version. I don't want something like rubber or slippery, is this cover firm? Do you think it would take any impact if bumped without actually cracking etc?

On a side note, our Aussie dollar has just gone back up to parity, about $1.01 US we are buying now - great for us to shop online :D

I have the clear version. It is firm plastic, not rubbery feeling. It will take a bump without cracking.

However, if you drop your iPad on concrete and it hits on a corner as mine did, most likely the screen will crack. (I got my ipad replaced at an Apple Store.) I use the Enki and Apple Smart Cover together when I am using the iPad in one spot, at home, or doing archival research. I transport it with apple keyboard in an SF Bags iPad Wallet. Other times, such as in my office and traveling, I tend to use my Maroo case and a Targus iPad/netbook messenger style bag for more protection.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011
Thanks for that tip about Speck, that was one of the other brands I was considering :(

Enki case is quite sturdy. Not sure whether you consider polycarbonate "slippery" but it's certainly not "rubbery." I'm not willing to test its impact resistance. :) Sorry. But I think you'd have no worry about "bumping" it. It's certainly stiffer and thicker than some other cases I've seen.

BTW, I thought you mentioned in an earlier post that the Enki price was $40. That's why I noted the (now defunct) exchange rate. If you're at parity you should be able to purchase the Enki case for $20 unless they're hitting you very heavily for shipping.

By the way, their "bundle" that includes a neoprene sleeve for the iPad is not a bad deal. It's a nice sleeve.

P.S. I'd second the recommendation above for the Waterfield Designs iPad cases. I have the "Travel Express" case rather than the "Wallet" because I carry my Apple Wireless Keyboard in an Origami Workstation case and it fits better in the Travel Express but they're both beautiful and very rugged cases.

Vanessa17

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2011
Enki case is quite sturdy. Not sure whether you consider polycarbonate "slippery" but it's certainly not "rubbery." I'm not willing to test its impact resistance. :) Sorry. But I think you'd have no worry about "bumping" it. It's certainly stiffer and thicker than some other cases I've seen.

BTW, I thought you mentioned in an earlier post that the Enki price was $40. That's why I noted the (now defunct) exchange rate. If you're at parity you should be able to purchase the Enki case for $20 unless they're hitting you very heavily for shipping.

By the way, their "bundle" that includes a neoprene sleeve for the iPad is not a bad deal. It's a nice sleeve.

P.S. I'd second the recommendation above for the Waterfield Designs iPad cases. I have the "Travel Express" case rather than the "Wallet" because I carry my Apple Wireless Keyboard in an Origami Workstation case and it fits better in the Travel Express but they're both beautiful and very rugged cases.

Thanks for your reply. I will see if there are any stockists here in Sydney - it isn't working on the site for me now but the shipping was quite expensive :( The bundle was an attractive option too :)

I will keep those brands you mentioned in mind while I search for Enki - thanks again :)

----------

I have the clear version. It is firm plastic, not rubbery feeling. It will take a bump without cracking.

However, if you drop your iPad on concrete and it hits on a corner as mine did, most likely the screen will crack. (I got my ipad replaced at an Apple Store.) I use the Enki and Apple Smart Cover together when I am using the iPad in one spot, at home, or doing archival research. I transport it with apple keyboard in an SF Bags iPad Wallet. Other times, such as in my office and traveling, I tend to use my Maroo case and a Targus iPad/netbook messenger style bag for more protection.

Thanks for your reply. Clear it is then :) I just got a Smart Cover hence the search for a back cover. I bought a sleeve that should arrive during the week.

Auznat

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2011

I'm just wondering if the Ipad compartment of the Waterfield Ipad Travel Express can hold an Ipad2 with Smart cover + Enki Genius case?

thx

MathRulz

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2011
Atlanta
I'm just wondering if the Ipad compartment of the Waterfield Ipad Travel Express can hold an Ipad2 with Smart cover + Enki Genius case?

thx

I have the Waterfield iPad Wallet, and the iPad compartment will fit both Enki and Smart Cover (albeit a tight fit), so I presume theTravel Express will too.

jsh1120

macrumors 65816
Jun 1, 2011

thx

Yes, it works fine. I have that configuration. In fact, you can also fit the Origami Workstation containing the Apple Wireless Keyboard in the Travel Express, as well. It's a tight fit but it works.

I bought the Travel Express rather than the "Wallet" because the folks at Waterfield Design advised that the dedicated sleeve for the AWK in the Wallet probably would not accommodate the Origami Workstation, as well.

Auznat

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2011
Yes, it works fine. I have that configuration. In fact, you can also fit the Origami Workstation containing the Apple Wireless Keyboard in the Travel Express, as well. It's a tight fit but it works.

I bought the Travel Express rather than the "Wallet" because the folks at Waterfield Design advised that the dedicated sleeve for the AWK in the Wallet probably would not accommodate the Origami Workstation, as well.

Thank You. I have the Origami Workstation as well & it's great to hear that AWB with the OW fits in the bag.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.